What's new

A retarded coilover question

Reaction score
Country
Okay sitting at work bored thinking about stuff, got me wondering about my coilovers and what infact is the correct way to lower them.

Ive never had coilovers where the base of the shock can adjust aswell as the spring seat.

So looking at the coilovers -

What is the correct way to adjust ride height?

I thought you would adjust the bottom bit to the standard ride height then adjust the spring platform...

But it got me thinking and I wondered is that the correct way? Wont that mess with the spring preload and ruin things, is it done by moving the base of the shock up the thread? but then that would make the control arms do funny things lol

You would think ive got no mechanical knowledge after reading that :nod: but its a Friday afternoon so leave me alone!

So with most Japanese cars and coilovers ive seen, HSD's CS2'S KW's the bottom can move up or down and so can the spring platform, so whats the correct way people?

Reaction score
Country
I believe the correct way to adjust the ride height is by moving the bottom part, well that's what I did with my coilovers

Reaction score
Country
Just undo the bottom locking collar, lower that to a suitable place and the wind the top collar down to the sellected height. Then tighten the two collars together locking them in place :) easy as that!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The bottom collar is the one where the threaded portion meets the base of the shock. Not to be confused with the 2 locked together (between thread and spring), which set the preload on the spring.

Edit: Work? On a Friday afternoon? I'm confused?!!

Reaction score
Country
Unbolt the bottom shock bolt, loosen the lower collar and then wind to your desired ride height. Simple! :)

The upper collar is for setting spring pre load. The one below is just to lock it off.

Reaction score
Country
That way just seems weird to me as you then have to raise the whole hub assembley and re attach it which is a pain when the shock is angled and the hub isnt..just seems like its a lot of hastle compared to lowering the spring platform.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If you lower the spring platform you will have no preload and it will feel horrible to drive. Always have some preload on the springs.

You can use the c-spanner on the upper spring platform locking collar to turn the shock and wind it down into the base (to lower) instead of unbolting the bottom. Either way is pretty easy, especially with that much copper slip on the threads ;)

CMR

Reaction score
Country
I've always undone the bottom collar, and twisted the whole shock into the base. This way means the preload isn't touched, and you don't have to unbolt anything from the hub.