What's new

New turbo.....help please

N

n6ray

Basically my turbo is dying a loud and smokey death, and basically i'm contemplating getting a bigger turbo rather than just a direct replacement......

My car is pretty standard other than a trust air filter(mushroom sort), a tomei manifold, an apex turbo elbow and de-cat and a cat back blitz nur spec exhaust. It also has a baffled sump, but that shouldn't matter?! oh and the clutch I've got is an exedy organic sports.

The choice is either to replace with a standard gt2560r or get a gt2871r, but if i did go for the bigger turbo what else would i need to do?! and if i just bolted it on a left the car standard would i see much gain?!

Thanks in advance......

Reaction score
You'd get away with running a GT2871R on stock injectors but it's almost pointless. It's a physically larger turbo in every way, so there will be gains but very minimal on standard boost pressure.

Put it this was, if you want to run a larger turbo, the costs don't stop once you've bought the turbo...

Reaction score
+1 to what Adam said. To make the most of the bigger turbo you'd need

Remapped ECU
Bigger injectors.
Z32 MAF
MHG

That's just for starters. :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Metal Head Gasket

sx-si

Reaction score
why does he need a headgasket on a 71r?
unless your screaming the living death out of a 2871r and pushing for 400 then maybe
but just running around 1.2 bar on a 71r then you shouldnt need one at all

also your missing a fuel pump
and a front mounted intercooler
then you shouls see a minimum of 320 at 1.2bar

Reaction score
Country
BorgWarner EFR range nice, completely re written the rule book on turbos with integral BOV and other goodies, would like to see one of these on a 15.
Just to add to sx-si list, also need an FPR and a good idea to go with a new set of braided lines for the turbo.
Now the £££ start to add up.

Reaction score
If you want to keep the car lightly modified then I would consider a GT2860R/GT28RS. Its a good upgrade from the stock turbo if you don't want to change cams,injectors AFM etc.