What's new

Turbo Elbows - Different types?

Reaction score
Country
So, the convenient time has come to do the swap, and i've found a few different types, so if someone could be so kind as to point out any differences, then please go ahead! :)

Type 1 - Standard elbow, just one big pipe

Type 2 - Elbow is split into two, the smaller of which comes from the wastegate, but rejoins the elbow before the flange at the other end, so is kinda like this shape --> () with each bracket being a separate 'pipe'..

And last theres the screamer, but i know what that one does haha.

So is there any difference in performance or anything at all, between the single and dual pipe elbow? :s i've tried to do some research but found no answers...

Cheers!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Well I run the dual pipe as I got it cheap and tbh there's seems to be no difference in performance, it spools up the same, and tbh unless your running a big turbo I dont think it matters. But if running a bigger turbo I'd go for a large port elbow for expelling the exhaust gases quicker.

Reaction score
Country
there is heaps of different advice out there, I looked into this and the majority of people say that just having a larger outlet pipe which combines the outlet and the waste gate in the same pipe seams to be the best route. In saying this i brought a tomei 3" dumppipe (which turned out to be a 2.75") this pipe has a internal baffle which is about 3" long and separates the wastegate exhaust from the main flow but the baffle merges the flows very smoothly and decrease he turbulence you get from introducing the flow later on at a wider angle, this dump pipe (elbow) works really really well, which is kind of what you expect from a company like tomei.
This is not there extreme one this is a much older item

M

martinbattye

the ebay spec stuff is vile.. avoid..

but as said above the branded tuning house stuff is nice.. and does work

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the advice! found the Tomei extreme one for sale on rhd japan, i'm assuming get without EAI fitment (what does this do by the way?) Also, just to check, i'm assuming it comes with a hole for the o2 sensor?

Reaction score
Country
EAI was a type of blow by burn off that the S13's had, im not 100% sure but its something like that. but the S15 defiantly does not have it

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, bite the bullet and get a Tomei Expreme. Not the extreme because there is no such thing! The quality is amazing, I've also got one waiting to go on when I get the chance.

:p

Reaction score
I have the Tomei Expreme manifold and elbow fitted and as the guy's say the quality is superb. I second the theory of Ebay ****e been a total waste of you hard earned..
All the company's here in the UK that sell tubular manifolds and elbows are just buying ebay ****e and putting their name on it.. I have seen the stuff first hand many times and it's scary.. They have a good one made take some photos for their website with a unrealistic power graph to make you go Whhhhoooooo thats what I need!!! Then sell you a mass produced piece of tat from China..
Buy second hand Japanese branded stuff or new if your budget allows, and enjoy the better performance, perfect fit, and reliability from your car.. And you will be loaded with JDM pimpness.. Because thats cool..

Reaction score
Country
Awesome! roll on pay day! And craig, nit-picking! haha I meant Expreme! :)

also, i've noticed on websites such as Japspeed, that the elbows for 14, 14a and 15 are all listed as seperate items? So meaning they cant all be the same? surely? :s

Reaction score
I've also got a Tomei Expreme Elbow in my garage waiting to be fitted. I've not heard a bad word said about them.

I managed to pick mine up from a breakers and can't wait to get it fitted. :)

Reaction score
Country
i agree with fasthands, if you aren't able to spend 100k on a build, its not a bad idea at all to buy second hand good quality Japanese made gear, it still works just as good as brand new item but is just used, both my dump pipe and catback exhaust are second hand jap gear and they work great