What's new

Clutch - best Bang for your Buck?

Reaction score
Country
I'll be picking up my new S15 Spec-R and its apparent that the clutch is slipping on full boost, so she's going to need a new one.
i'm trying to decide on which clutch to go with.

I had an XTD stage 3 in my S14A which lasted 3 years, 2 years for the previous owner, and a year during my ownership, which isnt for the abuse it got.

I replaced it with a cheap F1 Racing stage 3, admittedly i didnt bed it in for long, but it was getting sold and i was having my last bit of fun :nod: but it felt like it was 50/60% in 2 months done by the time it went.

So you knowledgeable chaps, what would you recommend for my S15. i have a fair budget, would as anyone woul, i'd like the best my money can get me.

it will be good to be 'daily' friendly, but stand up to the abuse of drift/track days.

power wise, im not sure of a figure, but here is the spec: (anyone like the hazzard a gues at a power figure?)

ENGINE
SR20DET
Garret GT28R Turbo (NEW - covered approx 6000 miles)
Braided Turbo Water Lines
Braided Turbo Oil Line
Apexi AVCR Electronic Boost Controller (set at 1 BAR)
Apex Front Mount Intercooler
Apexi Power Intake
Apex Tubular Manifold
Trust Turbo Elbow
Blitz Front Pipe
Apex Decat Pipe
Blitz NUR Spec R Exhaust
Walbro 255 Lph Fuel Pump
Denso Iridium IK24 Spark Plugs

-Thanks, David

Reaction score
Country
ALSO, i know the s15 runs a dual mass flywheel, when i had to replace the clutch on my old daily alfa 156 2.4 jtd, quite a contrast i know haha, i had to replace the dual mass flywheel aswell as the clutch.
do i HAVE to do the same with the S15?
if it does require replacing, what is the 'norm'? to fit an uprated lightened flywheel instead of the oem dual mass?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Welcome to s15oc;) I'm not normally one to plug my for sale stuff in other threads but I have a clutch for sale that ticks all your boxes, and is good for when you up the power/torque too as it is designed for some serious abuse but also be user friendly..it's an exedy hyper single and is an s15 specific comprehensive kit with everything you'd need. Feel free to check the for sale section but await other people's suggestions too of course :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
^^ And very well priced too..

If you want to drift properly you will need a paddle clutch of some form eventually, and the Exedy is one that's tame enough to use on the road too.

Reaction score
Country
which model exedy do you have dude?

Has anybody had experience with carbonetics? i emailed them yesterday

"Hi David,
We offer the triple plate, twin plate and the Blade clutch.

For a vehicle running 300BHP I would recommend the Blade disc with an up-rated cover, this is just the carbon disc and cover with the release bearing, they retail at £420+ VAT they are capable of holding 450+ BHP.

The only items that come with the flywheel are the Twin/Triple and Pro-Blade, unfortunately the Pro-Blade isn’t available yet, not until the end of Oct.

Many thanks

Gavin"

here is the

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Forget that I'm selling a clutch mate as I want to add constructive suggestions, just as a member, and stay impartial at the same time ;) I personally wouldn't use a paddle with the dual mass flywheel as anything near harsh engagement will probably wreck it if its snatchy because they aren't designed for it ;)

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Forget that I'm selling a clutch mate as I want to add constructive suggestions, just as a member, and stay impartial at the same time ;) I personally wouldn't use a paddle with the dual mass flywheel as anything near harsh engagement will probably wreck it if its snatchy because they aren't designed for it ;)
When I bought my S15 it had a ACT paddle clutch on it, and it was awful, very hard to drive slow (traffic jams). It didn't last long either, so replaced it with just a low end exedy organic and its sooo much nicer to drive now :)