What's new

Please dont tell me my gearbox is on its way out..

Reaction score
Country
Okay first..

When in 5th and you let off the acc you can here a clunk...not a loud one but enough to hear and it doesnt do it in any other gear...sounds like its coming from the front of the car to apposed to the diff..

Second -

Did a long trip today (100ish miles) and towards the end after using 6th for most of the trip I go to put it in 1st / 2nd etc and the selector feels different...1st and 2nd feel stiffer? When parked up if you move the selector to the right it bounces back to the centre as it should do..but if you move it to the left it like stays there? wtf :|

Im thinking it could be an oil issue as when i went back to the car it seemed back to normal after a cool down..could the oil getting to hot affect it? but surley the oil would be thinner when hot so wouldnt be stiff?

When the car was on stands it did loost a bit of gearbox oil but not really enough to worry about...mabi it needs topping up with decent oil?

I hope the box isnt on its way out as I really dont need the hastle or the cost!

Thoughts? :D

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I would try changing the oil first. It is the cheapest and easiest thing to try. If you still have problems, go and talk to a gearbox reconditioner, they might be able to give you a more accurate fault diagnosis.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Maybe think about putting redline shockproof lightweight oil in it. As that's great for noisy or problematic boxes. Then make sure it's overfilled by pumping way too much in and putting the bung back in as quickly as possible.

Reaction score
Maybe think about putting redline shockproof lightweight oil in it. As that's great for noisy or problematic boxes. Then make sure it's overfilled by pumping way too much in and putting the bung back in as quickly as possible.
I find it easier to fill the gearbox up by removing the gearstick and pouring it in through that hole. Only issue is that you need circlip pliers.