What's new

Thermostat - best place to get one?

Reaction score
Country
Hey, so i think i may need a new thermostat, although not 100% sure. But i've been told theyre cheap and a simple replacement job.

So, where do you get one from? Your local nissan dealer? or is there a cheaper/more efficient place? Also, in the event of sounding stupid, where is the thermostat? haha. i've been told two places, contradicting each other lol.

A photo would be awesome with an arrow if anyone has one!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
I'll be getting a Nismo one from america land, works out at £50 landed.

As for location, i found this:

The thermostat on an SR20DET is located on the engine block side of the LOWER radiator hose! Drain all the coolant, disconnect the lower hose from the engine block side, and remove the 3 bolts that hold the water inlet. Install with the jiggle pin UP and the pellet facing the engine. Put on some permatex water pump/thermostat sealant. Bolt down the water inlet to 2.7 - 3.7 ft lbs (finger tight, and 1/4 of a turn). Hook up the hose, fill up the system (don't forget to BLEED the system), and you're good to go.

Reaction score
Country
I'll be getting a Nismo one from america land, works out at £50 landed.

As for location, i found this:

The thermostat on an SR20DET is located on the engine block side of the LOWER radiator hose! Drain all the coolant, disconnect the lower hose from the engine block side, and remove the 3 bolts that hold the water inlet. Install with the jiggle pin UP and the pellet facing the engine. Put on some permatex water pump/thermostat sealant. Bolt down the water inlet to 2.7 - 3.7 ft lbs (finger tight, and 1/4 of a turn). Hook up the hose, fill up the system (don't forget to BLEED the system), and you're good to go.
Yeah i know where you mean now :) whats the difference between the nismo one and the factory one? i've found a factory one for £12 on ebay, so just gonna grab that i think. also in the meantime i'm just gonna rip the old one out.. just to make sure. :)

Reaction score
Country
Nismo Thermostats open at 62 Degrees Celcius while stock themostats open at 76.5 Degrees Celcius. This will allow your radiator to cool your engine before the temperature gets too high. *Cooling running temperature will yield higher power and response. This will also extend engine life. This thermostat is great for turboed engines due to the amount of heat created by the turbos. This will extend your engine life and yield better reliability.

*apparently lol

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
The issue with using a lower temperature thremostat is that if you are in a cold climate, it takes longer or you may never get your engine into the correct operating range, which can result in poor performance.

Reaction score
Country
The issue with using a lower temperature thremostat is that if you are in a cold climate, it takes longer or you may never get your engine into the correct operating range, which can result in poor performance.
Cheers meddler, i'l be sticking a stock nissan one in before winter hits, and may think about using a nismo one during the summer months then

At present, my car is now thermostat-less. and it takes forever and a day to get the engine to temperature! but its better than it overheating i guess!

Reaction score
Remember Chris that the Nismo one wont open till 62C so at worst the car will be running at that temperature which is still in the acceptable running heat range. If the coolant in the radiator drops below that the thermostat will close

Reaction score
Country
Where is the thermometer/sensor for the temperature gauge in the dash? Is it in the engine block somewhere?