What's new

idle after apexi power fc tune ....is it normal??? would love some feedback thanks

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys just had my s15 tuned by a reputable tuner ......just a few changed i noticed

1. when i start up car in the morning or cold starts it idles high at around 1500rpm till water temp hit around 60degrees then it idles back to normal 900rpm ( i was told this is called accelerated warm up ) ????

2. when driving and put into neutral the revs will hold at 1200rpm untill you come to a complete stop??

is this normal ???? also would i do any damage to the engine with constant high idling???

thanks

Reaction score
Website
www.dnsf.org
Country
I'm in a same boat with you maiky-s15r!

Mine also warmsup at 1500-1800rpm until about 60degrees and then idles to 800-1000rpm.
Also when driving and putting clucth down (example approaching intersection) revs stays at 1500-2000rpm and when you are almost complitely stopped revs comes down to normal.

I have PFC on my car too :)

Reaction score
Country
1. You have to realise, when you go aftermarket ECU, you can't perfect a cold start because there are so many variables (unless you go piggy back onto the standard ECU)... Power FC doesn't have a cold start map like the standard Nissan ECU. What your tuner has done is 100% fine, there is nothing wrong with that. You have to understand that the reason your tuner has done this is because you are meant to hop into your car and drive it straight away, the quicker your motor gets to its operating temperature, the better it is for the motor. All engine wear is done during cold start ups, people who think turning their car on and sitting out the front of their house until its reached its operating temperature are doing more damage then someone who hops into their car, turns it on and drives it straight away. When I say drive it straight away I don't mean thrash it, just put load on the engine and drive it normally.

2. This is correct, you guys are obviously still running a Air Flow Meter. This is just something it does. If you went the D-Jetro version of the power FC that uses a Map Sensor, you wouldn't have this... It doesn't matter though, its just something you will learn to deal with.

The amount of damage your car is going to do 'high idling' is about as much damage as your going to do driving it around town. So sweet **** all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
All engine wear is done during cold start ups, people who think turning their car on and sitting out the front of their house until its reached its operating temperature are doing more damage then someone who hops into their car, turns it on and drives it straight away. When I say drive it straight away I don't mean thrash it, just put load on the engine and drive it normally.
Why is this?

Sometimes, not very often I let mine warm up for a few mins before driving..I dont wait until it reaches temp I drive it nice and gentle until its done this..

I was just wondering how it can cause damage / wear to the engine if your letting the engine warm up before driving?

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
When oil is cold it is more coarse - also when you turn the ignition there isn't much oil pressure so the cylinder walls receive the most wear - but to be honest it is soo minimal it doesn't really matter.

The point about leaving the car to idle is due to the car not having load on it will in turn cause the oil to take longer to warm up.. oil works best at a reasonable temperature but anyway this is why we buy different grades of oil - 10w40 etc depending on the climate we live in ;)

Reaction score
Country
Yeh I already understand about oil been more coarse when cold etc and thats why I let mine warm up well before coming on boost etc..I also let it cool down aswell as I heard oil can sometimes settle in places where you dont want it to if you just turn it off after a big thrash...and when it goes cold this oil will obviously go thicker and coarse and when you switch it back on the next day it could do damage..weather thats right or not who knows..:D

But yeh I was just wondering why not having load on the engine but letting it warm up during idle is bad as the engine itself is still warming up so really the oil should still become thinner during idle...

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Nothing really to worry about but its actually better to drive it until its warm - limit to 2500rpm when its really cold and then you can increase as the temps get higher.. this gives your gearbox and other moving parts also a chance to warm up because if you just wait on the drive until its warm and then have an abrupt exit then you're causing damage to the other components ;)

The point about letting the engine run after a hard run in order to cool down the oil is to prevent cracking from expansion-contraction issues - which are caused from quick cooling down due to for example - turning off the engine when oil temperature has reached an excessive temprature

But all of these things we are discussing only occur from consistent occurrence over many years and honestly are rare to have an actual effect

Reaction score
Country
Nothing really to worry about but its actually better to drive it until its warm - limit to 2500rpm when its really cold and then you can increase as the temps get higher.. this gives your gearbox and other moving parts also a chance to warm up because if you just wait on the drive until its warm and then have an abrupt exit then you're causing damage to the other components ;)

The point about letting the engine run after a hard run in order to cool down the oil is to prevent cracking from expansion-contraction issues - which are caused from quick cooling down due to for example - turning off the engine when oil temperature has reached an excessive temprature

But all of these things we are discussing only occur from consistent occurrence over many years and honestly are rare to have an actual effect
second that, too many people only warm up there engine, its better to warm up the whole lot by driving around but only lightly untill everything warms up, engine/box/dif not just getting the engine half warm then thinking its all good

M

martinbattye

Hey guys just had my s15 tuned by a reputable tuner ......just a few changed i noticed

1. when i start up car in the morning or cold starts it idles high at around 1500rpm till water temp hit around 60degrees then it idles back to normal 900rpm ( i was told this is called accelerated warm up ) ????

2. when driving and put into neutral the revs will hold at 1200rpm untill you come to a complete stop??

is this normal ???? also would i do any damage to the engine with constant high idling???

thanks

thats the normal operation of the powerfc