What's new

Advice on an exhaust?

B

been_and_gone

So i've got an S15 1999 Spec S Automatic and I wanted to change the exhaust as it has the original double pipe factory exhaust. I'd like something that makes it sound a bit louder, deeper, generally just awesome. However, I have no experience what so ever with exhuasts and I don't even know if it's worth doing anything with the exhaust since it's automatic?

Are there options of just putting an exhaust tip on, or do i have to change the whole system? I'd like something legal, as my brothers skyline recently got green stickered and what a drama that was, so i'd rather save myself any fines and get something legit.

So if anyone has any advice, experience or suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I don't know the restrictions /laws where you live but you can buy universal mufflers if you just want to change the box. After that you have cat back systems then there are full systems,if you just want to make it slightly louder you could just have a silencer removed.
If you want to have a nice tailpipe and a deeper sound then I would suggest just changing the rear box don't think there is much to be gained from changing the whole system,would probably gain you 5-8bhp on a non turbo,so would probably be a good upgrade,I saw apexi n1 muffler for around 200 dollars so its quite a bit cheaper than doing the whole system too

Reaction score
Country
laws in NZ are pretty lax compared with the rest of the people on here, as long as its not over 95db but ive never seen a WOF place ever have a db meter or be bothered to check, only some cops might care and a vtnz. there's no restriction on CATs as yet, only a rear muffler to keep it under the noise limit.

Being a spec S, the noise can go up easy but you will kill off some of you power if you go above 2" for the main pipe, if noise is all you want and you dont want to sacrifice power get a proper NA rear muffler (not a straight through) these come up on trademe from time to time second hand, and can sound really good. or if you dont care about sacrificing a little bit of power, a cheap straight through will do the job and give you a good exhaust note.

Reaction score
Country