What's new

No 5th or Reverse. Please Help

Y

ylad-turbo

Hi i just joined today as i hope to get my s15 up and running as things havent being going to well since my purchase..

Ok my problem started when i went to change the gearbox oil..i removed what i thought was the fill bung for filling the oil..instead it was a long bolt about 90-100mm in length..when oil started gushing out i tried to push it back in but it would'nt go back in until a mate move the gearstick inside the car..
I then checked to see did i damage anything and when i started the car it would bite in 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 6th no problem but when i put it in 5th or reverse and released the clutch it didnt do anything..no griding or noises etc..

it goes into the 5th and reverse position perfectly but has no action when i release the clutch..

Please hope somebody can guide me how to fix my problem as i really want to get my s15 out and enjoy it :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
That doesn't sound good. I would probably go and talk to a gearbox repairer and see what they have to say. It is difficult to diagnose over the internet. Maybe someone could have an answer, but I would want to take a look inside the gearbox to see what has happened before doing anything else.

Y

ylad-turbo

wel maybe if someone knows what bolt i removed they can diagnose what happened as i persume the bolt was probably holding, maybe something like a selector fork etc..i am praying its a simple fix but il see what you guys think..

any more opinions?

as said the bolt i removed was on the drivers side of the gearbox(right hand drive) and approx. 100mm long and only threaded about half way down..

i would like to attempt to fix it myself as after spending al my money on buying the s15 i dont have enough to pay out on labour charges etc..

sx-si

Reaction score
sounds like the selector fork has gone tbh, i dont know if you can use one from a 5-speed but im sureyou can find a broken box somwhere

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It'd help if you posted a picture of which bolt you took out. I'd go with what meddler said though. Sounds like the box needs to be removed and opened up to see what's happened.

If you search for 'gearbox', you will find numerous threads, many containing exploded diagrams of the internals.

If your unsure about things like this, just search for it and if you still can't find the answer, post a new topic. People on here are very knowledgeable and always happy to help :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
From what that is saying, you certainly need to open the box I'm afraid..

Y

ylad-turbo

ok thanks for your opinions..something to keep me busy for a while so..

ok i consider myself handy enough with tools but i have never worked on a gearbox before, to fix the problem i have here would it be ok to attempt it myself or is it something that requires more skill than i think..i dont want to try it myself if i am going to cause more damage but if it is a straight forward as it sounds then i think i would like to give it a go..

Any opinions here guys?.

Jay

Reaction score
Adam L has a second hand broken 'box for sale for 50 bucks if all you need is a selector fork....

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The selector fork is probably ok, just not where it should be!

S

s15dave

The selector fork is probably ok, just not where it should be!
winner!

i think its fairly obvious from your description that you have partially dismantled your gearbox by mistake, then proceeded to put it back together incorrectly.

nothing can be done unless someone (either you, or a shop) pull it all apart, and put it back together properly. not sure if the manual covers the gearbox very well, but i would be starting there if you intend on DIY'ing it. else if you intend on getting a shop to do it, take out the box at your house and drop it off on its own, save a bit of labor cost there.

i wouldn't be driving the car at all until this is done.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Could you take it off - turn it upside down and try to move the fork by moving the car in different ways? - Have a strong LED shining down the hole.. drain the oil first you need to do that anyway