What's new

tuning non turbo

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
Colin (trails15) had a fairly awesome handling setup on his Spec S. Was quick enough round mondello. As for power I wouldn't waste your money. Its so difficult to get power out of the NA without spending a ball of money. I'd just wait til I could afford a Spec R.

Reaction score
Country
you could get to about 180hp from the factory 165 at the fly without spending big dollars like cold-intake, good NA extractors & exhaust, and a play with the timing, once big dollars have been spent on cams and a new ECU you will only be looking at 200 maybe more then that and it could be a bit of a pig to daily drive. But as mentioned above, when the spec r makes 240hp at the fly in factory form you are really wasting your time and money, even an engine transplant still works out more then buying a spec r in the first place.
You could +t but then you will only be able to make basic spec r power before blowing the DE up.

sorry to sound all negative but i learned that one. i used to have a spec slow and in then end just got a spec r

If you are dead set on NA tuning, the best starting point is to get a VE head and bolt it on and make the bottom end larger think about making your engine SR22VE, using that as a starting point you will be able to chase larger power figures.

Last edited:
P

pmcns15

i am just looking to boost it up a wee bit where would i buy cams and ecu for the non turbo s15 thank folk ur replys

Reaction score
Country
tomei do a poncam for the DE also JUN make a stage 1 and a stage 2 which can be used and most aftermarket ecu's will work, nistune are a good cheap way to go, daughter board setup but seam to have the ability of most other expensive ecu's, if you are going to do cams i highly recommend a good quality aftermarket set of extractors which will make full use of the cams (cheap nasty one will probably make it worse), and in the process get some second hand spec r injectors cause the spec s ones are something silly like 280cc and the spec r ones are 480cc and then change the head gasket to increase the compression also a good fuel pump like the S15 pump of choice the walbro 255, use the autech SR20DE as a guide it makes 200hp, i know a guy that had a autech S15 and thought it was better to drive then the turbo, wickedly responsive

P

pmcns15

i dont want to take the head off the car to change the head gasket so i need good cams turbo injectors ecu map exhaust airfilter

Reaction score
Country
fair enough what you want to do will be one hell of an improvement over stock anyway, the higher the compression the more responsive the whole setup will be but not wanting to take the head off is understandable as it will suck badly if you get it wrong putting it back together, just dont go big on the exhaust as its not a turbo, whatever extractors you use the collection point on them is the size you want to make the rest of the exhaust, for example i sold a set of fujitsubo ones for a SR20DE (same as autech) and the collection point was 2 & 1/4" as thats the best size to make 200 - 220 hp on that engine also make sure you use a NA muffler not a straight through turbo one as it will only make it slower. I have a design for a cold air box for a S15 non turbo which made a difference to my old spec S, totally eliminated the whole engine bay heat issue, and once over 100 kph the car pulled harder as the box pressurized and started to ram air down the intake