What's new

torque & wastegate

Reaction score
Country
Hello!

Like to ask what kind of torque figures u guys have. Asking this becasue I understand from my tuner that he usually tunes for more torque than hp.
Tbh, i am alittle disappointed by my hp despite the work put in.

these are my figures:
395hp at 7000rpm
torque 466nm at 5100rpm

using GT2871 turbo.
all accompanying mods required are done.
1.35bar boost.

also i have a question on wastegate. what size of wastegate do u think
i should run? I mean there are 38mm, 39mm, 44, 45, 46, 60mm even...
Would i need re-tuning for a wastegate installation?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
What trim is your turbo mate? As if its the smaller trim I would be quite happy with that as I thought they are rated to 400hp:thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
According to Garrett the gt2871r is good for upto 460bhp depending on engine displacement (Garrett GT2871R 472560-5015 / 771847-5001 (Horse Power 280 to 460HP-Displacement 1.8 to 3.0 L) this is straight from their data sheet. But for sure you won't easily get 460 from the 2L with GT2871r without a lot of effort, I have a 2871r as well.

There's a guy on SXOC that's running a fully built SR20 with 87mm pistons (no sleeves) and a Mazworx top mount manifold but with a GT28 series Tial V Band connection rather than the normal T3 top mount connection to a GT2871r with Tial s/s Exhaust housing (also V Band), nice set up, he's pushing out 446bhp/400ftlbs of torque at 1.1bar. So it can be done with a 2871r you just need to be innovative.... http://www.sr20-forum.com/turbo/46092-450whp-gt2871r-rwd-det-so.html

This is exactly the same set up i'm going for, just about to order my Maxworx manifold (will have a Swain Tech ceramic coating as well), already have the Tial V band exhaust housing and Tial MV-R wastegate (44mm) , next job is to sent to Turbodynamics for a brass bearing upgrade, Tial exhaust housing install and Zircotec coating on comp/exh housings. This set up though is well expensive in the end (all pipework, external gate, new turbo lines, manifold, exhaust housing etc etc) but no one said power was cheap :), also I need to find the best way of keeping my internal wastegate shut as will be running the external....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
s-hite i am poisoned again by you...why do you have to bring this up.........hahaha...

but thinking about it again. I think it must be stroked up 2.2, with high compression. I cant see how it can hit these figures without increasing capacity.

so you need these to summarise:
1. Tial V band exhaust housing
2. Tial MV-R wastegate (44mm)
3. top mount manifold - is this the turbo manifold? http://www.mazworx.com/product/turb...-series-sr20detve-rwd-topmount-turbo-manifold
4. the dump tube as well i think
5. might as well get the apexi downpipe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
Nope it a 2L (86mm x 87mm = 2.04L) and not stroked. But did have a quality build with Tomei 260 cams and various other upgrades, but displacement wise not much more than stock.

For the GT2871r install as per the 446bhp one, you'll need the following:-

Mazworx Manifold (specifialy with GT28 V Band turbo connection which isn't the one show)

Tial GT28 V Band Exhaust Housing

Mazworx Downpipes (specificaly for this manifold)

Mazworx Wastegate Dump pipe

Mazworx Top Mount Turbo fluid lines

Tial MR-V 44mm Wastegate

Ker Ching, plus the turbo mod for the Tial exhaust housing and closing of your GT2871r internal gate if your not running external already, phew...

Anyway this is the set up i'm buying and I will be running 2.2 (86mmx90mm) so will be interesting to see what I get bhp wise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
what a/r for the vband housing? Appears to be two options. 0.64 or 0.86?
can you also tell me more about modding the turbo, its not a direct fit to the 2871?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
Tial Sport offer 3 a/r options for the housing (but I only know of the 064/0.86 that you mentioned also, may be also a 1.0x ?), I think he was using the 0.64. Sorry the mod commnet was confusing, mod in the sense that you need to remove the existing housing and fit the Tial one.

Done some searching and found the SXOC thread were all this is done, check it out especialy interesting from page 46 onwards

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=284214&page=46

He was also running a greddy intake with 1000cc Injectors (ID1000s) cool

Reaction score
Country
yes i found the build earlier too thanks. it was flywheel hp instead whp.
I like this build, could consider it later. I just completed mine and done a map. So no rush into this.

But to think of it he gained about 40hp with this setup, and i read in your earlier link that with a wastegate
you could squeese out 25hp. So this vband housing/manifold should give another 15hp maybe.

cool, thanks mate, found out something new which is great.

Reaction score
Country
Yep interesting stuff, never considered V Band for a top mount before reading the thread, but will find out soon...

Reaction score
Country
Mate let me know how u get along. I think on page 48, he mentioned he needed some inlet and
outlet conversion flanges for his gtrs. Not sure if the 2871 is going to need it or not. I am itching
to order but my brain tells me to think sensibly!