What's new

turbo problem

Reaction score
Country
Hi everyone,
want to check if anyone got garrett turbo problems from realstreetperformance?

I got 2 turbos end 2010 from them, 1 for my mate, 1 for myself. My mates broke down on installation. Mine was ok then broke after tuning.

They are GT2871R turbos. I just find it a hard pill to swallow that both broke. And due to the same problem, shaft became loose...

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Ouch ,would expect a turbo to last longer than that! Have you contacted them at all?surely it would have a warranty of some sort??

Reaction score
Country
This is their reply.

I don't know who your friend was talking to over here so if you could get us some more information that would be great. As far as your turbo, if you have been using it since November 2010, chances are the turbo is not at fault. Generally if a turbo is actually defective it will fail within the first few minutes of use. 99% of the time, someone has continuously over boosted the turbo (which could be compounded by a boost leak), run too much or too little oil pressure, ran something through the turbocharger or anti-lagged it to death. Turbochargers in normal operation can last hundreds of thousands of miles. We are an authorized Garrett WS and we can have a turbo inspected for manufacturer defect. I just want you to realize that in nearly every single case where the customer thinks a turbo has failed too early it is due to mis-use. If you would like to send the turbocharger back to us we would be happy to look at it for you for no cost, just please realize if it is inspected by Garrett and they say that there was no manufacturer defect, you will be in a position where you have already spent a decent amount on shipping it to me and would have to pay the freight back to you.
Please let me know more information on the situation with the second turbocharger but again, the above is true in most cases where the turbo has been used for a while. It is almost always user error.
------

with a reply like this, i am not sure if i should send it back to them... I did not do the installation myself but through a workshop. professional people who deal with turbos all the time. Car was tuned as well by a Jap who worked previously for apexi and he was involved in creating base maps for the apexi power fc. But it is precisely no warranty that i feel quite bitter about..

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
I take it these were re-manufactured turbo's from this workshop?

I wouldnt bother sending it back mate. Sounds as though this is the kind of situation where you won't find out the truth - if they send the turbo to garrett and they find it's a defect, judging by what they've said so far the message will sound more like 'it's a installation problem etc' by the time it filters hack to you. That's if they even send it off....:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
As dean said,judging from their response it sounds like the wouldn't even send it to be tested ,and even if they did I doubt they would exchange the turbo or re imburse you in any way,that's a bitter pil tbh as its such a lot of money.
But you can see from their response no matter the outcome they have basically washed their hands of it