What's new

difficulty starting car after engine warms up

Reaction score
After approx 30min of driving, my s15 has a really hard time starting. My car cranks when i turn the key, but the engine doesnt always start. Sometimes, the car will start while depressing the accelerator pedal, but most times will require a few tries.

I suspect its temperature related, especially since the car starts normally if i let it sit with the engine bay open for a couple of minutes. Also, my car starts immediately if the engine is cold. Once the car starts, i have no problems whatsoever until i turn it off.

Ive tried changing the coolant temperature sensor, but that had no effect. The problem is definitely not MAF related, because im running a MAF-less setup with a HKS Fcon V Pro ECU. Im able to hear the fuel pump after turning the key, so i dont think thats the culprit either.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Reaction score
maybe its hot enough under the hood that it's vaporising the fuel within the pipework before the injector and creating a blockage.
Thanks for the help, but unfortunately i dont think thats the issue. When i couldnt start the car, i primed the fuel pump a couple of times, so there was definitely fuel in the lines.

Reaction score
Country
have you looked though the S15 manual (.pdf) which is posted in the usefull threads it has a trouble shooting guide, there may be something in there

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
I was having this same issue when it started getting warmer this summer. I had to open the injectors a few extra milliseconds during cranking via my Power FC and now it starts perfect everytime. It will be harder to do since you have the F-con, you'll probly have to take it back to whoever tuned it to have them fix it unless you have the software.

Reaction score
Yea, i was afraid it had to do with my tune. I had my car tuned in the winter, so i assumed that the difference in temp affected my starts. Unfortunately, re-tuning isnt cheap so i prefer not to go that route.

Is there something else i can do as an alternative, such as buy a better battery (optima yellowtop for example)? Im running a bunch of gauges and other miscellaneous electronics off of a tiny battery, so im thinking if i upgrade the battery, itll provide better start up as well as being able to properly support my electronics.