What's new

Gearbox for reliable 400bhp

Reaction score
Country
Well im after a gearbox that will cope with clutch kicks and 400bhp all day long without any problems but want to keep my s15 6 speed clutch as Ive spent a small fortune on my clutch and flywheel and dont really want to be replacing it any time soon so what options have I got?

Now there are a few I already know about as ive done a fair bit of research on this but just wondered if there are any options I have missed?

The options ive got so far are:

1. Buy the very expensive HPI 6 speed from japan thats rated to around 420PS

2. Get the circlip issue fixed in my standard 6 speed.

But how reliable is this? will the standard gearset handle 400bhp? how many people on here have had there circlip issue fixed and are running 400bhp+?

Many thanks :nod:

Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
I've just put the Nismo 6 speed box in. Its a very good box. I like 1st,you can hold it a little bit longer before you make the smooth change to 2nd.

Reaction score
Country
What about the power rating for the nismo box? isnt it 350PS rated? and also has the circlip issue been fixed?

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
A guy here recently broke his circlip modd'ed 6 speed gearbox and after all these years I've never heard of one circlip modd'ed gearbox last the distance - they give you a bit more life but it'll eventually break, so that's why I sold mine before I installed it.

The circlip issue is not fixed in the Nismo box. If you want, you can buy the complete box, strip it down, fix the circlip whichever way you choose, and reassemble it. If I were doing that then I'd go for the HPI box which is an upgraded Nismo box, but you still need to do the circlip mod.

There's another option - you can retain your s15 flywheel+clutch combo with the ALPHA OMEGA s15-to-z32 gearbox conversion kit, it is literally a bolt-in upgrade and it will hold 400bhp all day every day.

Reaction score
Country
or go with the Z33 box and retain the 6 speed, that's my personal plan and im BRUTAL on the clutch.
How hard are these to get hold of? Had a quick look around various places but can’t see any for sale..I guess they are quite a rare occurrence?

Also what’s needed to fit, just an adaptor plate? and custom prop?

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
my friend is working on a conversion kit right now, they are currently availible, but they dont meet his high standards :) I'll update asap on those. Boxes go for between £350-500