What's new

Boost Leak (Not in the conventional places though..)

Reaction score
Country
First up, I know what the first answer will be to my problem "check your hoses". I have. I've checked every single hose from the turbo to the plenum. I've tightened them, re tightened them, i've connected an electric pump to the boost nipple and done a pressure test, and not found any leaks that way. So. Why is my car boosting to 0.6. It doesnt flutter, doesnt spike. Just hits a wall at 0.6. It used to go up to 0.7, spiking to 0.9 before i fitted my fmic.

The recirc valve is fine as far as i can tell (its a new Forge one)

Could the boost solenoid be shot? would that affect it? (its factory standard)

Or could it be the wastegate actuator? Would that affect the boost pressure? I just cant understand it!

Any wild ideas would be brilliant! Cheers.

Reaction score
Country
Perfectly normal in my book. Happened to me when I installed my FMIC. Installed a 1 bar actuator recently and it boosts to 0.8 max.

Reaction score
Country
Perfectly normal in my book. Happened to me when I installed my FMIC. Installed a 1 bar actuator recently and it boosts to 0.8 max.
have you got a new solenoid fitted too? I reckon the spikes of 0.9 might have nackered it up.. somehow.. but you never know.. it is a 10 year old part, and everything wears out eventually..

S

s15dave

does it go as fast as it went before?

the goal isnt to get the maximum boost, the goal is to get the maximum amount of air in your engine.

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
remove the solenoid and remove the crappy forge valve. Ideally, you need a boost controller or an adjustable actuator. I would reccomend an HKS one.

Reaction score
Country
does it go as fast as it went before?

the goal isnt to get the maximum boost, the goal is to get the maximum amount of air in your engine.
well it doesnt boost as high as it did before and i havent got any readouts to compare speed to, however it doesnt feel as fast

remove the solenoid and remove the crappy forge valve. Ideally, you need a boost controller or an adjustable actuator. I would reccomend an HKS one.
what would be the difference between buying an adjustable actuator over a boost controller?

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
what would be the difference between buying an adjustable actuator over a boost controller?
well they both achieve the same result, although a combination of both will be more accurate with regards to control. also taking into account that your current actuator has been not only next to, but phsyically attached to a fecking hot turbocharger!

Reaction score
Country
well they both achieve the same result, although a combination of both will be more accurate with regards to control. also taking into account that your current actuator has been not only next to, but phsyically attached to a fecking hot turbocharger!
haha ok, so i take it aftermarket ones are relocated away from the turbo slightly?

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
no same position, but they haven't had thier diaphrams cooked for 10 years and thier springs going through a massive range of heat ranges! With a HKS actuator and a boost controller (i personally use the new HKS EVC-S, because it's simple and effective!) you will get crazy gains in response / low down torque. that's assuming you don't have some other issue, but i'd put money on the forge leaking...

Reaction score
Country
no same position, but they haven't had thier diaphrams cooked for 10 years and thier springs going through a massive range of heat ranges! With a HKS actuator and a boost controller (i personally use the new HKS EVC-S, because it's simple and effective!) you will get crazy gains in response / low down torque. that's assuming you don't have some other issue, but i'd put money on the forge leaking...
its not the BOV because i've checked it! haha i had the same problem when i removed the BOV completely and blocked the pipe (whilst doing a pressure test) so who knows..