What's new

Hub nut wont go on..damaged thread.

Reaction score
Country
Just put everything back on my car and just my luck..I get to the very last thing the hub nut and it wont go on..:annoyed:

Its deffinitly the drive shaft thread as both hub nuts go on the driver side but cant get one on the passenger side shaft.

The thread must have got damaged somehow, ive tried cleaning it up with a wire brush, wire wool and a stanley knife but I still cant get the nut to bite!

Has this happened to anyone else? Not sure how to takle this, was thinking of driving to a near by garage and seing if they can sort it but not sure if its safe to drive when im missing a hub nut :rolleyes:

The thread -

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Looks like the end of the thread's took a knock. You'll have to run a die down the thread to clean it up I think.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
As Craig said mate, or if it's not gonna cause you too much hassle to take the shaft back off then run it down to a local engineer or machine shop with the nut and they can chase the thread for you for not much at all ;)

S

S15 SILVIA

Lol you silly boy! Fancy getting this far and getting held up at this! :)
Like Craig and Dean say, run a die down the thread, should get it back on track. Just make sure you use the right one!!!!

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the replys..

I think a die is going to be quite expensive for the size I need, going to try and clean the thread up some more mabi using a small hacksaw blade and if that doesnt work mabi grind / cut the end down a bit at a taper and hopefuly the hub nut will go over the damaged thread onto the new good ones.

Its is annoying lol as its the last bloody nut :rotfl: