What's new

Running 15psi at 268bhp without a map

Reaction score
Country
Right well I got my s15 on the rolling road yesterday she's running just under a bar of boost I have a big front mount intercooler full exhaust system hks sqv blow off valve uprated fuel pump it's fueling completely fine and a blitz filter and it came out at 268bhp the same place who rolling roaded it can map it and he said a decent exhaust system and intake and a light map should take me to near 300bhp which is what I'm looking to get to.do I need anything else or is it just the map I need now?

Reaction score
Country
You'd be aswell get a z32 afm and some nismo 555 or 740 injectors while your at it, it would be worth your while if your getting it mapped, you def get 300bhp with a good map then:thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
get a EBC as well just to get control of the boost if you havent already

Reaction score
Not worth putting in a Z32 and bigger injectors if you don't put in cams,you'd be wasting your money.

Reaction score
Country
Not worth putting in a Z32 and bigger injectors if you don't put in cams,you'd be wasting your money.
Who told you that?

You can run 350+ with standard cams..probably a lot more tbh.

Mate you will be fine to get 300 with your spec no problem..might need a turbo elbow or new manifold if you havent got one, and cooler spark plugs..:thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
I dont know where your getting that from... thats not true at all

Theres no point putting in cams on the standard s15 turbo, theres no advantage unless your upgrading the turbo also

Reaction score

Theres no point putting in cams on the standard s15 turbo, theres no advantage unless your upgrading the turbo also
Wing has got bigger cams on stock tubby if i recall correct, aparently it pulls to the red rather than getting puffed out at 6k thus making more power and giving a wider power band.

Edit aus s15

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
ive been thinking about cams, more along the line of what else i will be matching with them in the long term, but for easy option tomei say the 256 in the SR20DET can run with a stock ecu fine, so why no squeeze a bit more earlier in ya build if you can

Reaction score

Have you personally done it? What graphic evidence have you got comparing results from standard cams to stage 1 cams?

I have done both and have dyno graph comparisions to put your assumptions to the test.

Honestly,a turbo elbow,manifold or plugs will give minumal power gains.

You might improve your response times. If you want power you need to get the engine to breath better to ingest the fuel/air mix and get the gases out quicker.

Change the duration and lift of your valves with cams and your going to get more noticeable power gains through the rev range then a set of plugs.

What the point of putting a bigger AFM and injectors if your motor can't use the extra fuel/air.

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm about to install some Tomei PonCams to compliment my standard turbo, along with Z32 and 740's. Not expecting massive results but it should be ace to drive with the extra power the cams and breathing mods will bring :)

To do it cheaply though, don't bother with cams, injectors, AFM or manifold. I'd do the elbow as you will gain response and they are cheap. You should get 300/300 from that if your engines in decent condition.

Reaction score
You will notice from 4800 to rev limiter much stronger response and it will pull harder then stock Craig.

Reaction score
Country
sorry i havent replyed for some reason i didnt get no mails saying anyone had replyed for some reason :S but yeah i thowt injectors etc was for a stage 2 map? but yeah if i could get it running around 290-300bhp id be more than happy enough to be honest.

Reaction score
Country
Who told you that?

You can run 350+ with standard cams..probably a lot more tbh.

Mate you will be fine to get 300 with your spec no problem..might need a turbo elbow or new manifold if you havent got one, and cooler spark plugs..:thumbs:
ok i better get looking for a elbow then i think cheers mate :D

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
what a silly statement.

Obviously removing the valve overlap out of the cams is handy, but you can do that with an adjustable pulley (it's only a mm anyway). You don't NEED cams to make power, you need them to shift the power around the rev range. for street diving and say drifting, i'd rather have a standard cam tbh. Beside's the fact i know of several STANDARD SR's running 380bhp + on standard cams, without the rocker arm issues from extended lift...

Z32, 550s, PFC and a T517Z is bang on for a 350-360bhp daily driven car.

Reaction score
Why's it silly,
Whats the point of putting a 80mm AFM and bigger injectors in when the stock items will be more then adequate for 290-300 BHP.

I'm just trying to help someone from misdirecting their money.

"You don't NEED cams to make power" No you don't, but they work in conjunction with other upgrades to give you power.I know a lot of SR owners who have ditched their stock cams to take advantage of intake and fuel upgrades to allow optimum power tunning.

"Obviously removing the valve overlap out of the cams is handy, but you can do that with an adjustable pulley (it's only a mm anyway). "

Yep, Cam gears are good but only for cam timing,they have no bearing on lift,thats controlled by the cam lobe profile the last time I looked.

Last edited:

Jay

Reaction score
i would say if you are looking for 300ish then forget the cams. its a load of cash that is not needed to achieve the stated target. keep it simple, keep it reliable....

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
Why's it silly,
Whats the point of putting a 80mm AFM and bigger injectors in when the stock items will be more then adequate for 290-300 BHP.
reduced heat.

I'm just trying to help someone from misdirecting their money.

"You don't NEED cams to make power" No you don't, but they work in conjunction with other upgrades to give you power.I know a lot of SR owners who have ditched their stock cams to take advantage of intake and fuel upgrades to allow optimum power tunning.
saving money buying expensive items you do not need? I know a lot of SR owners that run standard cams and make big power without any issues. Power doesn't make a car fast, torque does. With bigger lift and longer durations you need to produce more boost to produce the same torque low down.

"Obviously removing the valve overlap out of the cams is handy, but you can do that with an adjustable pulley (it's only a mm anyway). "

Yep, Cam gears are good but only for cam timing,they have no bearing on lift,thats controlled by the cam lobe profile the last time I looked.
i think you need to re-read what i said lol

Reaction score
Country
well I have a similar setup.. Blitz air filter, 3" exhaust.. no cat.. =) Fmic.walbro 255.. running right now 0,9-0,95 bar..and damn that's an angry car.. =)
but whats a PFC..? and when you write BHP.. Is that power on wheels or engine..?? sorry If I have many questions, my english Isn't the best =)

Reaction score
Country
OK.. damn I didn't think that s15 lost that much power.. Is 15 psi about 320+ hp....?