What's new

rear diff

Reaction score
Country
hi,

bascially my diff is on its way out, orignally when i brought the car i wasnt going to us eit for drifting. but the more i drive the more i really want to drift days etc..

what would the best diff to get aslong as its not hugely expensive, i dont even know the range of prices these are tbh.

thanks for the help :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol funny I went through the same thing after I got my S15... :p

The best diff people rave on about is the Nismo GT Pro - smooth (as a 2 way diff can be), easy to use daily etc. However, these babies will set you back well over £1,000+ :wack:

Your other option for brand new will be a Kazz which is more like £600 - £700 IIRC. But these are more clunky and more noisy than the GT Pro. Still, very popular with drifters.

If you are serious about drifting then just get 2 way. Don't mess about with 1.5 - this is more suited to track cars which I'll be getting for my project. 2 way locks the diff on acceleration as well as deceleration so you get a nice constant power delivery through both rear wheels which helps maintain decent sideways action...

You can also look for 2 way diffs being sold as used items but be careful about how well they were maintained... they need to be 'driven in' from brand new properly otherwise it can damage the diff if not done correctly. There's a 2 way being sold on SXOC at the moment. Expect to pay anywhere between £300 - £500 for used item.

Reaction score
Country
oh.... i didnt realise they were so expensive tbh haha. ill have to look into to abit more and decide what i really want to do.

thanks mate :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I think a used helical diff would still be ok option for now - specially when you're getting to grips with drifting basics it's a cracking diff and awesome for track/fast road... grips like hell :D

Might be a cheaper option to just get S15 helical diff, go with that and then when you're really wanting more sideways and easier diff to work with invest in an aftermarket 2 way...

Edit: have a word with Julian @ Garage-D as he tends to have diffs knocking about. He might even take your damaged one with some money back your way if he can get it repaired etc... not sure if it's of any use to him?!

Reaction score
Country
Like James said 2-ways are the best option, but you could always try a welder!

A lot of people say that welded diffs are fine and work great, its just parking etc and slow turns that can be a pain compared to a nice 2-way.

When I upgrade I think im gonna go for the kaaz one, wont be for a while though as ive just put everything back together and I really dont want to have to take everything apart again to change the diff!

Reaction score
Country
Whats wrong with your current diff? reason i ask is i reckon you should just take to it with a welder. Ive got one in my daily driven s15 and love it. Theyre rubber mounted in s15s so dont make a huge amount of noise compared to a locker in an s13 for example. Best part is it will only cost you near enough to a box of beer, instead of the 1000 for a 2way.

Reaction score
2 way is so much more consistent than stock helical.

It's not just a drifting tool but points your car so positively through a corner when fast road driving. Takes a little to get the hang of it's characteristics as it's not very forgiving but when driven correctly it's amazing.

Helical is better in the wet though as 2 way is too harsh for the rain and just skids, spins.

Can't comment on welded never had one but doesn't mean I wouldn't try.

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
an average nismo GT PRO 2 way used will set you back about £450 in a casing. Ideally, you want to get a 4.1:1 final drive as it will make your car quite a bit more... yippie! :D Best place is to keep an eye out on driftworks or call garage-d in watford, they usually have what you want in stock and offer a fitting service. Just to swap diffs will only be about an hours labour or so.

Personally, im using a tomei, although i also have a cusco. That's by chance though, if i was buying i'd have a GT PRO every time, they make all the others look silly in terms of engagement and bite.