What's new

boosting issues?

Reaction score
Country
hi,

i brough the car about a month ago and its been boosting at 0.5bar, since ive been browsing the forum ive fount out it used to run at 1.3bar?

what kinda thing do you think would cause this?

thanks

Reaction score
Country
Id look more towards the boost controller, thats a big drop in boost..

0.5 is actuator pressure so perhaps you have problems with your boost solenoid or else maybe the boost controller was turned down

Whats the boost controller your running and whats the current settings on it?

Reaction score
Country
Hi mate, it's go one of those gizmo boost controllers. There is 6 settings but only 3 are set up. I think the 1st is 1.3bar, 2nd is 1.2 bar and the third is 0.5bar. It's on setting one but still only boosts to 0.5bar. Could be anything to do the exhaust gaskets leaking? Thanks

Reaction score
Country
the only gaskets that would cause a drop in power would be the two at the turbo, did you change from each setting to see if it made any difference?

any work done on the engine lately. are the pipes on correctly on the boost solenoid?

Reaction score
Country
yeh i change each setting and it made no difference at all. each one still boosted to 0.5bar. not since ive owned it, where is the boost solenoid? thanks

Reaction score
Country
the boost solenoid will be more than likely bolted to the passo side turret, or there abouts. it will be plumbed into the turbo actuator and the return hose going back into the inlet plenum or i/c pipework

Reaction score
Country
you should hear it "ticking" slightly when you come on boost, other than that im not sure, maybe swap it with another one to see

Reaction score
Country
had a look again last night. and for some reason when you hit higher revs the boost needle on the gauge starts to flicker as if its hitting limiter when its not? does that mean theres a leak somewhere?

Reaction score
Country
nope its still not sorted :( its really annoying because i havnt been able to use the car when its been set up correct :(

F

Frankyh

You should hear "ticking" a little 'when it comes on to add, other than that im not sure, maybe replace it with another to see

Reaction score
Country
mine is pretty much the same at the moment mate. absolute nightmare trying to find a boost leak.. :( mine is holding out at 0.5 when it should be up 0.7 or so.. just check all the pipes and keep doing until you've pulled all your hair out. then start on someone elses head of hair.. :(

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
As long as the boost controller settings are correct and the vacuum pipes haven't been messed with then all should be ok from a setup POV.

I posted a help thread on fitting my Gizzmo boost controller for someone else not long ago so do a search on 'Gizzmo' and you should see all the pics and help articles I wrote - worth a read to check everything.

Can't remember what the DUTY CYCLE and GAIN settings should be but they should not have been tampered with. Read the online Gizzmo instructions to check this and if you let me know the figures I'll be able to remind myself. I think around DUTY ~= 67 and GAIN ~= 45 but don't quote me on this!!

But as everyone says get the mechanical side checked first: all the boost pipes, vacuum hoses and ensure gaskets are not leaking etc. Although for it to be that bad you'd expect a strong smell of exhaust fumes when you pull over and you can clearly hear leakage :wack:

Reaction score
Country
yeh im going to check everything when i have a day free. i know for a fact ive got a leak where my downpipe is. the bold is crossthreaded so doesnt sit properly and the gasket is gone. but it was doing this before that went :(