What's new

fitting FMIC without Remap?

Reaction score
Country
Is it a bad idea to fit an FMIC without IMMEDIATELY getting a remap?

ie - drive around for a month ( ~800 miles), and THEN get it remapped?

cheers

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I haven't and I have had mine fitted for a while, but I am still running at just above stock boost pressure. The FMIC doesn't really make any difference. Boost is why you need a remap because it can change you air / fuel ratio. It's just the fitting fo an FMIC and upping the boost go hand in hand.

Reaction score
Country
I haven't and I have had mine fitted for a while, but I am still running at just above stock boost pressure. The FMIC doesn't really make any difference. Boost is why you need a remap because it can change you air / fuel ratio. It's just the fitting fo an FMIC and upping the boost go hand in hand.
Ok cheers. Does it matter that i'm not using a boost controller of any form? just letting it go how the factory ecu tell it to (peaking of 0.7, occasional split second blip of 0.9)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If you are still using the standard boost solenoid, then yes, That is what I am using except I have done the free boost upgrade (FBU) which gives you 10psi (.7bar). Also note, mine is an Oz spec whick was tuned a little lower from factory due to the crap fuel we have here in Oz.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
should be fine mate, i did see det after fitting a full decat exhuast, cone filter and fmic but that was due to an underlying timing issue. fmic shouldnt do any harm...

Reaction score
Country
ok cheers Dean, i'm running decat, hks filter and will be fmic. i'l see how it goes! :)

Reaction score
Country
today a mate took my car for a skid and since hes a ex drifter he is rather good at it i must say, didnt hear any det and its got a FMIC, intake, 3" turbo back and for the next few days stock boost solenoid, for about 2 sec it reached 1 bar and thats on stock ECU.

Reaction score
It wont have any detrimental effect. It will naturally lift the boost a little but thats more a good thing. It's only really cooling your intake air more.

Reaction score
Country
Ok cheers guys, makes me feel a little happier :) what sort of upgrade would you guys recommend for the boost solenoid?

Reaction score
Country
you want to get yourself a proper closed-loop boost controller.

the "gismo" brand seems to make some nice devices.

http://www.gizzmoelectronics.com/Product_MSIBC.html

certainly a bit more expensive than the open loop items (blitz make a popular one, but its only open loop)
Ok cheers, so what do you mean by closed and open loop? is that one with an in and out for the vacuum, and one with just an in? Also when you get the boost controller i assume you get the solenoid and fittings too as well as the display for inside the car? :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I think you should buy my HKS EVC 6 ;)

S

s15dave

closed/open loop refers to the control system in the boost controller.

closed loop takes an input of current boost pressure, monitors it, and adjusts the solenoid in order to reach a target boost pressure, which is set by the user.

an open loop system doesn't take an input of boost pressure at all, it doesn't even know what boost pressure it is aiming for. you just set the pressure by trial and error, buy setting the percentage of open/close time of the solenoid. i don't entirely understand how it works, but its very primitive.

that HKS evo 6 looks good, appears to be closed loop. but its bloody expensive.

the gismo thing seems to do all the same stuff, just like half the cost. and not as fancy interface. you probably dont need most of those features on that HKS thing anyway.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The HKS is very complex but at the same time very good if you take advantage of all of the additional features it has.. I'm selling mine for £340 which is cheap. Part of the cost is probably down to the fact it's HKS rather than an unbranded make, but similarly, would you prefer Rotas wheels, or Work/Rays'..? Either way it's the best EBC you can buy at the moment.

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the advice!

A quick question for my piece of mind - Is it possible i've lost boost pressure since fitting the FMIC? (0.55 max boost down from 0.7) or have i created another *obscene language* boost leak somewhere? :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
A FMIC shouldn't reduce your overall boost pressure, it may give a bit more lag but that's it.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Jase - check your jubilee clips or whatever clamps you are using on all the new silicone hose parts for FMIC... this is easily missed. Get them tight - but careful you don't break the clips!! :wack:

As Craig says you shouldn't have boost drop so get this looked into before you fit a boost controller - make sure everything is running nicely :)

The HKS EVC unit Craig is selling is priced a lot cheaper than brand new and you know it's been looked after... depends on your budget at the end of the day. I've sworn by Gizzmo because I've never felt the need for more than a decent solenoid and a nice little unit which goes in the cabin to make/show boost settings as well as displaying real time boost etc :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Cheers james, gonna get the bumper off and have a jig about until i've found it.. assuming the rain holds off... :/

i know craigs is really cheap and well looked after, however i'm not sure its such a necessary purchase for me lol. especially as its a lot more than the gizzmo stuff.. but we'll see :)