What's new

fitting FMIC without Remap?

Reaction score
Country
According to Mark Warner's Street Turbocharging book, introducing a large FMIC on SOME cars can introduce a boost loss of approx 2psi usually only 1psi, but this is only due to a restrictive exhaust system like a factory exhaust, not allowing the turbo to expel the gasses quick enough so as to charge the FMIC properly. Also this will introduce and noticeable amount of lag in the turbos spool time.

This is a across the board statement about alot of different cars not specific to S15s.
Im assuming that if you car can spike to .9bar you have a turbo back 2.5 or 3" exhaust system?

I had a similar problem with my car, so i replaced most of the vacuum hosing with silicone hose (4mmID) and brought better clamps for all the silicone joiners on the intercooler pipes, also checked the BOV seals and put better clamps on the factory re-circ pipes after cheaking every pipe for a leak.

not sure exactly where the leak was but it defiantly fix the problem

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ah thats very interesting! I'm not sure what my exhaust is to be honest, the original owner replaced the factory one with a very similar aftermarket one. Its probably 2" at a guess, packed with silencers. I've checked EVERY piece of silicone and every jubilee clip in the system and i've only got the two that fasten onto the FMIC itself to check, and then thats me 100% sure i dont have a boost leak from one of them..

i'l get some new silicone ordered and i've got a new exhaust in the pipeline :)

Reaction score
Country
go turbo back with your exhaust, it works out cheaper to get a custom made exhaust then to buy branded stainless items. Something made from at least 2mm mild steel then heat coated will be long lasting and heat resistant, and will flow just as good as any expensive item and better then stainless, it wont sound horrible.
I had a Tomei dump pipe so i used it just because i got it second hand and its a really good item, i then just got a custom section made up to go from the dump pipe to the rear of the cat to match up with the rest of the exhaust, that section only cost me $140 NZD (approx 70GBP) you could prob get a turbo back 3" exhaust made for 200GBP??

Next time i will just get the entire exhaust system made this way