What's new

The Turbo Question..on a SPEC S :O

R

rockabunny

Hi Guys,

I have a S15 Spec S NA Auto which I use for an everyday ride (Traffic is bad where I am so hence the Auto). Great on the fuel Economy and nice on the eyes.

Things may change depending on the response I get on this thread.. :eek:

I do have a bit of a itch developing so I was wondering. Is it possible to install a turbo on the current engine somehow while keeping most of everything stock without going down the halfcut route. I don't mind a stock S1 turbo or something to give it a bit more of a boost.

Also just wondering perhaps what other kinds of engine would fit in my setup?

If all of the above is not possible then what would be the best thing to do to improve on performance? I have seen some crazy NA S15 on you tube drifting and sounding real nasty for a NA car.

Thanks in advance! :thumbs:

J

JapanS15

The compression ratio is higher for a NA motor and the fuel injectors are smaller and you wouldn't have anyway to tune it. The best way and cheaper way would be to source a DET motor with harness and ECU and than do a direct swap. So it other words...do not turbo the motor you have in it now.

R

rockabunny

Thats awesome guys.. Do keep it coming I am sure someone out there has had first hand experience as well in terms of such a conversion.

Reaction score
i did this to my NA s15 but i went the whole way, piston, rods, cams, link ecu etc so i do not think i can help you.
the easiest think to do is buy a 3'' exhaust system, turbo manifold, emanage blue, spec r injectors,, t28 turbine and do not go over 9-10 psi.

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
One of the bigger problems you run into is tapping the block for a turbo oil return line. Not to mention distributor vs coilpacks, smaller injectors, smaller fuel pump, Have to source coolant lines for the turbo, no oil squirters on the pistons, and higher compression ration/weaker pistons.

Basically, it can be done but it's not easy or cost effective. Is would be much easier to drop in a whole DET motor.

R

rockabunny

Interesting gents.. Ok say I go with putting a DET motor, I assume it is not as easy as plug and play. What problems would I face or what should I watch out for?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
From what I understand it pretty much is plug and play. Just get the engine, loom and ECU with all the ancillaries and away you go. Obviously that is if the engine is out of an S15, I believe an S14 engine requires a little more work. I am sure that the guys who have done it will chime in.