What's new

Oil Catch Can - Advise Please due to getting too much oil in the breathers

Reaction score
Country
After having a turbo back exhaust fitted my car now wants to boost to .9 Bar, bad i know on the factory ECU but i also noticed a hell of alot of oil on the hotside of the intercooler piping and the turbo is making the flutter noise on the higher boost releases, which i guess its not able to release enough pressure through the factory recirc, so its blowing way more the normal out of the breather lines.

Ive never bothered putting a catch can on my other cars as ive never really tried to up power but i hate seeing oily residue on the intake system, so its time to install one.

Is it possible to connect all of the breathers to a catch tank? to totally remove traces of oil from the system.
Will i get most of the oil ending up in the tank with say just the breather on the cam cover and the one below the intake on the plenum?
Whats a good minimum inside diameter for a great breather hose?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm suprised your getting that much oil from blow by. The SR's even with higher boost have very little blow by say compared to the RB's. I've had a catch can fitted for 6 years,never had to clean it out and even now it only has a small amount of blow by. Ive been running 16 to 19 PSI of boost cams and quite a lot of track days

Reaction score
Country
could the factory BOV not be up to the task? or faulty causing more pressure the be released elsewhere just a guess

Reaction score
could the factory BOV not be up to the task? or faulty causing more pressure the be released elsewhere just a guess
No not really,if it was faulty it would be losing boost,otherwise it would just return back to the turbo with little effect.Some people run no bow off value with out issues.

If you are getting to much blow by oil you should be looking at engine wear. Do a comp test which will give you a good indication on the health of your engine

G

GUEST_JDM

Just incase you do go for the catch can in the end, there is only one breather to connect to. The breather on the top left side opposite the plenum, has a one way valve fitted and no blow by will get through there. The breather you are after is on the right hand side of the motor im guessing you already know which one this is. If it was me id have your catch can vent to atmosphere and block up the intake pipe where you would have a hole, its the only one sure way to make sure no oil vapour gets back into the intake and could save you from det.... hope this helps

Reaction score
Country
Just incase you do go for the catch can in the end, there is only one breather to connect to. The breather on the top left side opposite the plenum, has a one way valve fitted and no blow by will get through there. The breather you are after is on the right hand side of the motor im guessing you already know which one this is. If it was me id have your catch can vent to atmosphere and block up the intake pipe where you would have a hole, its the only one sure way to make sure no oil vapour gets back into the intake and could save you from det.... hope this helps
Thanks dude, appreciate the feed back