What's new

She started to knock really bad

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
:(Last night about 60 miles from home my ECU light flashed at me which prompted me to look at my PFC and I noticed knock had gone into 70's. I also noticed that around 2500rpm that the cams/cam sounded ticky (you know like an old vauxhall engine sounded on startup until it quietened from supply of oil).

I pulled over and checked fluids whih were fine and no leaks. All gauages were reading normal (oil press, temp, normal water temp gauge centre but defi water temp was 10 degrees higher than normal (around 82)).

I nursed her home at no more than 2000rpm monitoring my dials and engine note and by the time I got home at idle the knock meter was having a party and it sounded like it was knocking but I'm sure it was cam tick.

Anyone had a smilar problem, could the top end have been starved of oil and would a hot cam increase the water temp? It sounds feasible, but why would it get starved of oil? Filter blockage?

I feel gutted, I dont ring her neck according to the PFC I rarely go above 5500rpm when I have given it the boot to overtake but the rest is cruising. Things happen to any car but annoying is my old man saying "you mess around with stock cars and you are asking for trouble". :mad:

Rant over.

I have covered 150 miles with the last batch of vpower (half tank) with no more than 20 pts knock and she didnt get more than 20pts on the previous full tank.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you running a boost controller? How long has your oil been in? What viscosity are you running? 82 is within normal opperating temperatures. Could be a bad batch of fuel

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Apexi ECU, no in car controls. Change oil every 3k. I have had a chance to give it a look over and it sounds like timing chain. I assume there are tensioners, I will find out soon when I take her apart but I am now sure its not oil starvation, just a louder version of the VVT tick.