What's new

Help with split in CV boot and Ball joint question

Reaction score
Country
Okay was putting everything back together today and found a bloody split in one of the cv boots!

Its not big as you can see here -

Can I get away with repairing it with something like a puncture repair kit? Or is it a new boot job?

Ive never changed a cv boot before and really dont want the hastle :annoyed:

What should I do?

Also people whove taken their car apart :p

Does this look like the right nut for ball joint?

From what Ive worked out it should be but im not 100%? It looks a bit big? Also it turns the spindle when trying to put it back on with a socket so how can I get around that?

Cheers

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You would normally have a casellated nut on the ball joints. If your re-using the originals, it probably will spin and be difficult to do up, but the tighter you get the nut, the less it will spin as it's a wedge-shape. I'd say it's worth replacing them rather than re-using if you can :)

As for the CV boot, again, new ones would be best but you either melt it with a soldering iron or use super glue - that should hold it for a while.

Reaction score
Country
Cheers Craig!

I hope it does hold out as theyre a pain in the ass to do with the shaft off the car but with it being inbetween the subframe I imagine it being quite the task to do while on the car! :|

J

JapanS15

If you can get your hands on a pneumatic boot spreader, they aren't too bad to change. Without it, its a PITA!

Reaction score
You probably want to use some kind of flexible adhesive to seal that up. Something like instant gasket as anything that dries hard will be brittle and crack on movement.

Reaction score
Country
Think itl be okay I used a soldering iron on it a bit to slightly bond it together followed by a puncture repair kit with some good glue..looks like it should hold, weel have to see.

Got a problem with a ball joint nut now though..got one side on with the help of people standing on top of the control arms but the other side it a right bit*h!

Do you think that once everything is on the weight of the car will be enough weight to make me be able to tighten it? As I tried the same as the other side with people standing on it but it wasnt having it...

If it doesnt work with the car set up then its gonna be new ball joints which sounds daunting as I dont know if you can swap them while everything is on the car....

Ideas?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You'll have to remove the arm to get the ball joint out. They come out fairly easy - just remove the circlip, support the arm on some wood or in a vice and twat the ball joint with a lump hammer :)
To fit new ones, just clean up the arm with a scotch pad or similar, tiny but of copper slip and then insert the new ball joint. It'll need lightly pressing or hammering in but use a rubber/nylon hammer so you don't damage it!

S

spanner_monkey

you can buy stretchy cv boots, they are made by a company called bailcast, also you can get a plastic cone from them so you can stretch the boot over the cv joint, absolutely easy, only trouble is getting the right sized boot, you dont want the holes to be too big, or itll flop about.

also with the ball joint, apply pressure upwards against the bottom of the joint pushing it into the hole, this will hold the taper and stop it from spinning, i use a scissor jack underneath the ball joint itself. works every time.

hope this helps

Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys!

Ill get everything fitted to the car and pop the wheels on the back and then once its back on the ground jack it up on one side with a jack and socket on the ball joint, im hoping this will let me tighten it..I think if I did it while the car was still on stands without everything fully tight and the wheels on jacking the ball joint up would just raise the arms...