What's new

Engine knock

Reaction score
Country
I have a power fc in my car and it monitors knock levels.

so was just wondering it it normal to get 2-4 levels of know when the car starts..
Also what is the safe level of knock for the engine.
i get 36-40 levels of knock when i push the car hard just for a small bit.
this seems high and while in normal driving i get about 9.

Should i be worried with these figure???

M

Meddy

raytsang said:
I have a power fc in my car and it monitors knock levels.

so was just wondering it it normal to get 2-4 levels of know when the car starts..
Also what is the safe level of knock for the engine.
i get 36-40 levels of knock when i push the car hard just for a small bit.
this seems high and while in normal driving i get about 9.

Should i be worried with these figure???
No dont worry about it mate. The knock monitor is a bit hit and miss. Above 50 and it would be worth looking deeper but 40 isnt worth panicking about.
Often vibrating heatshields etc can cause very high knock values, so if you do start to see higher values its worth sorting some det headphones and checking it that way.
My car is mapped well and doesnt det at all but I can still see values in the 30's on occasion.

Reaction score
Country
That clears things up abit..

at what level will the engine light come on... i suppose it be dangerous i i see the engine light on often.
has happen before when i just put the Power fc on the engine light would come on while driving the car mildly...

Reaction score
Engine light flashing if you got a power fc install means you are experiencing detonation, its not good if you always see flashing light :( . Is your car mapped properly?

Reaction score
Country
well after it has been map not seeing it..
so i guest he did a good job..
but i didnt have a front intercooler so it was causing detonation. have one on now but still seeing same levels on knock

just concerned with knock level...
just hope the next map would drop the knock level more

but Meddy clear most of that up... have a bit more confidence in pushing the car abit harder now and get the full potental... hehehe

Reaction score
if the engine light was comming on then it severe detonation, at least now that its mapped for 95ron you shouldnt get as much detonation. Over here in ireland its down to the juice we get. Ive found that the vpower and octane booster will bring down the knock quite alot. If you get it re-mapped by martin in westward just make sure you tell him about the knock

M

Meddy

raytsang said:
That clears things up abit..

at what level will the engine light come on... i suppose it be dangerous i i see the engine light on often.
has happen before when i just put the Power fc on the engine light would come on while driving the car mildly...
The knock level warning light is user definable but I believe the default setting is 65 or around that. The thing to remember though is you might get it flashing and it neednt be DET. Other things rattling about can set it off, on my mates 14a the exhaust heatshield used to do the trick. As I said the OEM knock sensor isnt infallible (spelling?). If you started to see knock levels over 50 and the light coming on regularly then I would investigate further. Either with Det headphones or with a AFR meter.