What's new

flywheel or bell housing problem!!!

Reaction score
Country
hi,

my cars in the garage at the moment getting the clutch changed. because it had a exedy hyper twin plate i had to buy a flywheel to use with the new clutch.

everyone was going well got all the parts, tried to get it all sorted today and when its all back together there 15mm gap, which means the clutch wont engage :(

can anyone tell the standard dimensions of the flywheel so i can see if it matches mine? the new flywheel i have is 30mm deep, where as the one on the hyper twin plate is 45mm?

is it the bell housing i need to change or have i go the wrong flywheel?

thanks

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
You need a single mass flywheel like one from a S14a with a 5-Speed Gearbox rather than a Dual mass you find in the S15 Spec R 6-Speed Box I take it you got one of them?

I wouldnt say the bell housing is at fault though

Reaction score
You can fit this flywheel but you need the deeper clutch to take up the gap. I got the Nismo Super Coppermix clutch and flywheel, and the flywheel was thinner than the standard dual mass but the clutch was a lot deeper, I guess to take up the 15mm or so difference. But looking at the listing this is for S14 5 speed box not the S15 6 speed. you may have to contact the clutch company's and ask if thy have a clutch/flywheel combo for the removal of the dual mass set up on S15. They may have a clutch for this application. But be prepared for a long wait for a reply and maybe no help when they do! A lot of these company's big up what they have and can get. But when you show the dollar dollar... they ain't got what you need..

Or just buy my dual mass and away you go!! It's here waiting for you... Don't let the summer drift away with your car in the garage..

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
As above find out if the clutch is for a 6-speed or 5, though as for companys not getting back to you not sure about that :wack:

Reaction score
Country
You can fit this flywheel but you need the deeper clutch to take up the gap. I got the Nismo Super Coppermix clutch and flywheel, and the flywheel was thinner than the standard dual mass but the clutch was a lot deeper, I guess to take up the 15mm or so difference. But looking at the listing this is for S14 5 speed box not the S15 6 speed. you may have to contact the clutch company's and ask if thy have a clutch/flywheel combo for the removal of the dual mass set up on S15. They may have a clutch for this application. But be prepared for a long wait for a reply and maybe no help when they do! A lot of these company's big up what they have and can get. But when you show the dollar dollar... they ain't got what you need..

Or just buy my dual mass and away you go!! It's here waiting for you... Don't let the summer drift away with your car in the garage..
so aslong as i get your flywheel all will be well and will fit with my new clutch? i just dont wanna buy yours and then i have 2 i cant use lol, can you measure it for me just to make 100% sure lol? and much use has it had?

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
To be honest the clutch wont make a difference as you can use the 5 speed and 6 speed on both gearboxes, are you trying to use the same flywheel bolts from the dual mass on the single (new flywheel) ?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
if your going back from the hyper to a stock clutch type setup then you need a set of nissan flywheel bolts (new is best, you don't want to mess with these) and the stock flywheel. as has been said, most if not all s14 clutches work with the dual mass flywheel but an s14 clutch and flywheel wont work with the s15 box. i'd think the main reason is the position of the clutch pivot as when you think of the setup, input shaft location and spigot remains in the same position and the actual flywheel mounting surface is the same distance from the clutch pivot as before, i'd think its more the fork wont push the release bearing forward far enough to properly dis-engage the clutch when using a thinner flywheel is all.....

drifter

Reaction score
Country
There's a lot of difference in the length of the gearbox input shaft between the 5 and 6 speed. You can stand a 6 speed up on its bell end (lol) because the input shaft barely sticks out, the 5 speed sticks out much further. Therefore you need a thicker flywheel/clutch setup to engage the inout shaft :)

Not sure where you stand, but if you a clutch setup I have one for sale :)

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=499979

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
didn't know that, i thought they would have to be close in length to locate in the spigot bush on the end of the crank...

Reaction score
Country
There's a lot of difference in the length of the gearbox input shaft between the 5 and 6 speed. You can stand a 6 speed up on its bell end (lol) because the input shaft barely sticks out, the 5 speed sticks out much further. Therefore you need a thicker flywheel/clutch setup to engage the inout shaft :)

Not sure where you stand, but if you a clutch setup I have one for sale :)

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=499979
so if i had that set up it would go straight on my s15 with no problems?

if you was willing the sell the flywheel seperatly would a exedy twin paddle go with this? sorry about all the questions lol

drifter

Reaction score
Country
That setup will work with the S15 6 speed :nod:

The flywheel won't work with your Exedy twin setup :(