What's new

Swapping from Spec S ECU to Spec R ECU

Reaction score
hi there...
I have a S15 Spec S Auto but I have converted to manual using 6spd box from Spec R....i'm wondering if I swap my factory Spec S auto ECu to Manual Spec R ECU...would it make any different in any ways??

thanks for all the answers
:D:D

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
It won't work. The Spec R is completely different. Different MAF, different injectors, coilpacks vs distributor, etc. You could swap to a manual Spec S ecu however if yours is going into limp mode. If your car runs fine with the stock ecu then I see no reason to change it.

Reaction score
oh alright...that's a good input for me..I'm saving up for Sr20 DET....so might put the Spec R ECU in later on....
cool mate...thanks

Reaction score
Country
spec s manual ECU you should be able to pick up for $30 - $40, anyone wrecking a spec s should be able to do this, if they quote you anymore then $40 they are joking

Reaction score
spec s manual ECU you should be able to pick up for $30 - $40, anyone wrecking a spec s should be able to do this, if they quote you anymore then $40 they are joking
oh alright..i will try search that on trademe bro..
on the other note....at the moment my car still runs fine with stock Auto ECU....is there a point in switching to Manual Spec S ECU for now??
as Hypnotik stated that if it runs fine, theres no reason to change it??

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If you are going to change the ECU when you put in the spec R engine, why not got for something like a PFC. Alternatevely get a stock ECU with a Nistune addon board.

Reaction score
Country
oh alright..i will try search that on trademe bro..
on the other note....at the moment my car still runs fine with stock Auto ECU....is there a point in switching to Manual Spec S ECU for now??
as Hypnotik stated that if it runs fine, theres no reason to change it??
If it runs fine then i wouldn't worry about it. more importantly have you got a LSD in there yet? when i changed the single spinner out of mine made a huge difference, by the way the extra bracing on the spec r, the subframe braces are a straight bolt on for a spec s all the holes are there you just need to get them and bolt them on, the rear needs a bit more time and patience but makes it handle way better.

and as meddler said if you upgrade to the DET engine you may as well just get a better ECU anyway, just get a sec hand one off trademe and get it remapped, came across a greddy e-manage the other day was about $600.
or better still just do what i did, sold the spec s and just got a spec r, they are cheap enough now