What's new

Strange rattling sound when first pulling away?

Reaction score
Country
Only get this noise when I first go to pull away. Sounds like a loud vvt rattle but only lasts a second or two. The noise only comes when I put the car in gear and when it is first started???? Car has made this noise since I have had it, never had any mechanical faults so far ( touch wood ) and has not caused any issues regarding performance or gear changes just like to know what it is lol. Any ideas :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Mine does this too now and again, pretty sure it is just the early stages of VVT rattle dude

Reaction score
Country
Yeah mine does the same thing by the sounds of it.

Just comes and goes.

Reaction score
Country
Mine does that, only when cold though... and im 99% sure its the timing chain tensioner, ill be changing it next month.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'll agree with simon - tensioner is probably the cheapest of the three items to change and easy too ;)

Reaction score
Country
Mine does this aswell. I was told it was something to do with the short shifter?
if it was the short shifter you should be able to hear the difference from whether its the engine bay or the gearbox i guess.. but i wouldnt know without hearing it..

Reaction score
Country
heheh wow never thought there would be so many that have this problem.. Iv'e been worried about the sound for 2 years..
then I sold a bonnet to a guy that just built a S15 with 600 bhp.. he said that It's the clutch cause s15 has got sprung flywheel.... dont remember, but he said dont worry ...

Reaction score
Country
Mine does the same when cold, but I'm pretty sure it comes from the engine front side, so it could either be vvt rattle or timing chain tensioner.

Reaction score
Country
I would guess It's something with the flywheel too..

Reaction score
Country
Both my spec S and R did this, the spec S was worse (5speed & 6Speed). only happens on cold start. Then once the clutch has been engaged it stops. sounds more like a thrust bearing but could be wrong, and it comes from the back of the engine/bellhousing.
The whole time i had the spec s it did this and never gave me any problems, even with plenty of skids under its belt.

S

s15dave

if its the VCT rattle, if its in its early stages it should only do it the first time you touch the accelerator with it in gear.

To keep the rattle under control, i start the car with it in gear and i give the accelerator a quick jab just as it starts up.

the rattle gets worse when the engine is hot, as the oil is hot (thus more viscous), and thus takes longer to get into the vct gear...that's my theory anyway.

Reaction score
Country
yeah I hear It only when in gear, with the clutch down, and then i just touch the accelerator.
I do that to, start the car in gear,, but only when people are around, dont want everybody to hear,, its pretty loud.. =) But I have tried to start the car, then wait about 10 min,, then It's pretty quiet... but not always,, depends on weather..
My english isn't the best so I don't know what VCT is.?? could somebody explain..??

Reaction score
Country
Not sure on exact spelling of vct or vtc but has to do with variable time timing (on intake side on our engines)...

rattling wise, might be something in the timing chain system then?

Reaction score
Country
yeah I hear It only when in gear, with the clutch down, and then i just touch the accelerator.
I do that to, start the car in gear,, but only when people are around, dont want everybody to hear,, its pretty loud.. =) But I have tried to start the car, then wait about 10 min,, then It's pretty quiet... but not always,, depends on weather..
My english isn't the best so I don't know what VCT is.?? could somebody explain..??
VCT stands for Variable Cam Timing or VTC Valve Timing Control. Simply the time that the cams hold the valves open changes when at certain revs, like 3000rpm and then 5000rpm. On silvia's its a variable intake cam, basically means that once the engine is revving over a certain threshold it makes more power by allowing more air & fuel in.
My wifes swift has VVT or Variable Valve Timing which does a similar thing. People say its the same a VTEC in hondas, the concept is similar but Honda just do a hell of a good job of it, like the noise you get in a S2000 at 9000rpm, is yet to be matched by other car companies.

Last edited: