What's new

How much power are people putting through the 6 speed

drifter

Reaction score
Country
My S14 engine will be transplanted at the end of next week which has a bit more power :D It puts out around 420bhp and 375ftlb.

Just wondering if anyone on here has had that sort of power through a 6 speed for a reasonable amount of time? It has an unknown twin on atm, if that's ****ed my OSG STR twin will be going on :)

I've got a Z32 kit as well which can be bolted in along with a helical diff with lower ratio to suit, but I'm thinking about keeping the 6 speed for a while :)

On another note I put the 4.1 final drive on at the weekend which make the 6 speed mental :wack:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It won't last long with that much torque, especially if your drifting. They are about the same strength as a S14 box, people just talk about it a lot more when these blow as they are rare and expensive. If I was you I'd sell it while it still works and pocket yourself £400-600..

I'd certainly like to experience a shorter final drive. People always say it transforms the way they get through the gears, which I imagine it does, but I've always asked myself if it is really necessary with this much torque? I have a feeling the answer will be 'yes'!!

:)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I was always going by the rule of thumb: stock 6-speed will take up to 350 ft lbs

Anything above like Craig says is likely to cause problems and if you clutch kick a lot for drifting then this puts even more abuse on the box as well... twin plate clutch double your damage!!

Say you sell the 6-speed box for around 500 notes then it should only cost around £1,200 max to get an RB conversion sorted on your Silvia (so budget £700 on top). This will include the whole lot: used RB box in decent condition (expect to pay 400 notes), cross member, adaptor plate (Polo sells these), custom prop, custom gear shifter, around 4 hours labour IIRC).

Have a word with either Julian from Garage-D (very recommended) or Polo from S-Body Automotive (also recommended by many). There's also Clarkey from Doritech who'll be able to do this (top guy!) but he's nearer my end in Dudley area so may be too far for you...

drifter

Reaction score
Country
It won't last long with that much torque, especially if your drifting. They are about the same strength as a S14 box, people just talk about it a lot more when these blow as they are rare and expensive. If I was you I'd sell it while it still works and pocket yourself £400-600..

I'd certainly like to experience a shorter final drive. People always say it transforms the way they get through the gears, which I imagine it does, but I've always asked myself if it is really necessary with this much torque? I have a feeling the answer will be 'yes'!!

:)
Thanks for replies, I'll continue as planned and get the Z32 kit on :) It won't be drifted, but will get a load of track abuse :nod: The username has stuck with me from 2003 on the SXOC :D

I found the lower ratios too short imo, plus I'm used to a higher rev limit than the stock :)