What's new

Try this next time you drive your car...

Reaction score
When in 5th gear at 100km/h (60mph), put your foot down on the clutch (hold it there), then push the lever into 5th gear to the end of it's travel ie keep pushing towards the dashboard. Can you feel a vibration through the gear lever? This feeling will increase as you increase in speed so at 100km/h you should be able to feel it, at 60km/h it shouldn't be so noticeable.

Try it and post up your findings.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
you shouldn't do that, you will cause premature wear to the selector etc

Jay

Reaction score
why would you want to do this? most vehicles will see vibes through the gearstick if you push it hard against the gate.

Reaction score
Well the reason I ask is that when my 4th gear circlip broke; I noticed this sensation as I changed into 5th (this was just after I had heard something break in the gearbox). However 5th gear was fine, no noises etc - just this vibration. Since my rebuild; this sensation is still there although a lot less pronounced. I don't ever recall this feeling in 5th prior to the 4th gear circlip breaking. Normally when shifting in 5th, I'll only feel this momentarily; but the method I described above is a way to replicate the feeling. The box functions fine, no noises etc - but there is this feeling through the gear stick in fifth gear only. The other gears don't give this noticeable vibration when pushing against the gate (I've tried this already). From my understanding; there is no incorrect way to assemble the gearbox (mine was repaired professionally) and no adjustment - it's either together in correct order; or it's not - and won't function. So the reason for my question is do you also experience this sensation in 5th?

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
I think maybe you paranoid about breaking the box again, if you look for a problem, you will find one. Generally dont worry about a gearbox unless it's whining or grinding. You should never change gear so hard you hit the end of the lever travel, it's all about letting it drop into gear smoothly.

Reaction score
I think maybe you paranoid about breaking the box again, if you look for a problem, you will find one. Generally dont worry about a gearbox unless it's whining or grinding. You should never change gear so hard you hit the end of the lever travel, it's all about letting it drop into gear smoothly.
I think you're right mate - Paranoid with a capital P! - gotta just enjoy the car and stop worrying.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
eventually we all have to come to terms with the fact that these engines and boxes make funny noises even when they're working like clockwork lol

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
I think you should just buy the 6-speed box Craig has for sale...cause doing that is a matter of time before your going to need a new one :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
wish i had the money going spare and i'd have it....

Reaction score
I think you should just buy the 6-speed box Craig has for sale...cause doing that is a matter of time before your going to need a new one :)
I just rebuilt my gearbox (800k's ago) after 4th gear circlip failure (to the tune of $3,500!) - so 50% of the hardware inside is new (incl a new counter shaft from Nissan Japan). So it better be a long time before I need a new one!! Anyone who comes across a second hand gearbox that they know to be in good condition would be wise to keep it as a spare (if they intend to own their car long term).