What's new

High boost on internal wastegate?

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
I have a Forced Performance TD06 20g on my car with a HKS actuator and a Blitz Dual SBC Spec-R boost controller. My problem is that I cannot get it to HOLD more than 1.1bar. It will spike to 1.3-1.4bar then fall back to 1.1. I thought maybe the internal wastegate wasn't big enough but is seems that it should overboost instead of doing the opposite. I talked to another guy with the same turbo and he has the same problem.

I remember seeing this same turbo on a SR in a R32 skyline and they were making 458whp at around 1.7 bar so I know this turbo is capable but I can't seem to figure it out. Forced Performance advertised this turbo as capable of 29psi.

What is the highest boost some of you guys have been able to run on a internally wastegated SR?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i've run 1.5 bar steady on the 2871r which isn't crazy, just took it back down to 1.4 for longevity... can't see why you can't hold more than the 1.1.... normally they build to peak boost, hold it for a few hundred rpm and then tail off rather than spiking and then settling back down :?

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
I'd say you are losing boost vac or the wastegate isn't strong enough to hold itself closed. Have you tried adjusting the wastegate to raise the base level of boost? Do you have a dump valve leaking? Gasket blowing out on the turbo/plenum?

Reaction score
I'm running a 56 trim GT3071R on an internal gate but I've got the opposite problem. I've had to cap the boost at a max of 1.4 bar as if it's any higher it develops terrible boost creep, hence why I've just bought an external wastegate to solve the problem and get it running more boost stabley.

Have you tried pressurising your intake system to see if you've got any leaks?