What's new

How exactly do you change oil filter?

S

silviac

Very simple but very tricky.....
I tried from top and bottom but it seems there is more access from the top.
I used strap but there was no space to turn my tool!
So what kind of oil wrench do i need to use? ah...it's so stupid to locate filter there nissan!!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Lol! Rest assured, you aren't alone!

Some people have success with straps and chains and the like (for removing the filter, you pervs). Its nearly always the first oil change you do on an SR20DET which causes problems, usually after some monkey fitted the last filter as tight as they could possibly get it :rolleyes:

First HUGELY IMPORTANT tip is NOT to drain the oil first. If you can't get the filter off, you are going to have to fill it back up again with fresh and drain it again later. Next tip is to make sure the oil is warm/hot before attempting to untighten. You don't have to take the filter off while its hot - just untighten it. Next, try a marigold or latex glove on your hand, for extra grip. Don't be afraid to take the boost sensor (attached to the suspension strut) off. It will give you more room.

If you can't get the filter off, you could try one of these:

If all else fails, a screwdriver through the filter will work. Remember though, there's no going back once you've punctured the filter.

Final tip: do what it says on the filter instructions. Tighten 3/4 on a turn after the filter first makes contact with the block. Follow that rule and you'll never have a problem removing it in future.

However you finally manage it, you'll still get oil everywhere once you've taken the filter off. Its a joy of SR20DET oil changes... I got one of these two overcome both problems :D

As an alternative, get the K&N filter shown. It has a socket nut on it!

S

silviac

i asked my local shop for the relocation kit but they said i need an adaptor to fit. I guess their product is an universal type.
Did yours too? and how much did it cost?
I think they quote me something like 70 pounds if I convert the price.

S

silviac

Ah....yea those are populare aren't they?
I just tried to turn with my hand cos my mate said he did it by hand but screw that.... no.......way
I guess his one got well oiled previously
any difference as to brandwise? I assume they are same apart from the name?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The name filter brands all offer different performance (flow and filter wise). I just use a Nissan one now I've got easy access to the filter.

S

silviac

Nicely said:
The name filter brands all offer different performance (flow and filter wise). I just use a Nissan one now I've got easy access to the filter.
What i meant is the kit.
My local sells one for $130 which is about 50 pound?
Isn't it just a hose and bracket etc?
So nice to have one.
ah...... visited back to auto shop but the filter was slightly smaller than what they had. their wrench was only as larger as 1/4"....
I used good old stupid but effective poking filter method and followed by lots of cleaning on my tools....
Go screwdriver!!! Welll actually not.... :hurl:
I tighetened by the biggest strength of my hand though. Hope it will be ok?
I will definitely get one of kit next time.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If you tightened as much as you could, you're going to have one hrll of a time getting it back off next time. That's why you struggled this time. Should only be tightened a 3/4 turn after the filter catches the block.

The kit is a sandwich plate, a filter adapter, bracket and braided hose. The braided hose is probably the most expensive thing. Both the adapter and plate have two take off points to allow you to fit sensors, such as oil pressure and temp. There is no performance gain unless you stuck an oil cooler in between. It solely for convenience.

S

silviac

Ah well i thought it might come off later by vibration or something so gave a little tighter but my the other hand can turn back for now. hoping it may not too bad later :D

Reaction score
Nicely said:
Lol! Rest assured, you aren't alone!

Some people have success with straps and chains and the like (for removing the filter, you pervs). Its nearly always the first oil change you do on an SR20DET which causes problems, usually after some monkey fitted the last filter as tight as they could possibly get it :rolleyes:

First HUGELY IMPORTANT tip is NOT to drain the oil first. If you can't get the filter off, you are going to have to fill it back up again with fresh and drain it again later. Next tip is to make sure the oil is warm/hot before attempting to untighten. You don't have to take the filter off while its hot - just untighten it. Next, try a marigold or latex glove on your hand, for extra grip. Don't be afraid to take the boost sensor (attached to the suspension strut) off. It will give you more room.

If you can't get the filter off, you could try one of these:

If all else fails, a screwdriver through the filter will work. Remember though, there's no going back once you've punctured the filter.

Final tip: do what it says on the filter instructions. Tighten 3/4 on a turn after the filter first makes contact with the block. Follow that rule and you'll never have a problem removing it in future.

However you finally manage it, you'll still get oil everywhere once you've taken the filter off. Its a joy of SR20DET oil changes... I got one of these two overcome both problems :D

As an alternative, get the K&N filter shown. It has a socket nut on it!
Ha, Ha - that's exactly how I attacked it! I first tried when cold, couldn't budge it. P1ssed me right off! After my next drive while the engine was still warm, put on a rubber glove for grip and sure enough - got it :thumbs: . Got as huge bruise on my arm as well. Nice one Nissan. I'm suremost of us also figure this one out the hard way. I was about to go and buy a oil filter wrench too. The thing is, I'm notorious for doing things up tight so they'll be safe. So chances are, I have another battle ahead of me :D