What's new

Need help: s14 gearbox and diff in s15

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, I need some help getting my speedo working.
I've got an s14 abs diff and an s14 5-speed box in my specR s15 and the speedo doesn't work, I looked around the diff and there is a plug hanging down and nothing to plug it into.
Also the abs sensor is missing, so just wondering if i get the sensor and connect it to the plug hanging down will the speedo work or do i need to get an s15 diff???????????
Any help would be great thanks.....

Reaction score
Country
not sure about wiring between the two diffs but if you want to keep your current ratios and have a working speedo, you could get Spec S open diff and rear shaft section from a S15 as the speed/abs sensor will go straight in and put the S14 LSD head and ring and pinion in.
On the S14 diff is there that little hole on the nose which you can see a toothed gear?

Reaction score
Country
Thanks, there is a hole at the nose but no toothed gear, it's just a blank hole with a threaded hole beside it for fixing a sensor to it. There probably is an abs ring behind the end of the hole.
I see what you mean by using an s15 casing but if the s14 diff ratio is different to an s15 i think the speedo will read wrong,
Sounds like it might just be easier to get a complete s15 diff and rear shaft, i'm looking for 2-way anyway so it would save alot of hardship.

B

bounceae86

I have the same prob... Does the speedo not pick up from the gearbox? I also have a black connecton hangin off the diff case ... Was told that's only an abs plug ...

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
The signal from the s14 gearbox would be different and not worth it because you also lose ABS. Get the diff sensor as it's for both ABS and SPEEDO. Your speedo will read wrong but it's a start.

Why did you an s14 diff into an s15?

B

bounceae86

I have the 14 box and front half shaft , the speedo is disconnected and all I can see is a black connecter hanging lose at the diff , can the15 clocks run off the 14 box or can you wire it back up from that black plug? I was told it was the abs and don't worry about it

Reaction score
Country
Thanks, the diff was in the car when i bought it, how much off would the speedo read ?
I was told already that the abs sensor works the speedo on an s15 just wasn't sure if the s14 sensor would work.

does anyone know what the diff ratios are in an s15 specR and s14 turbo, i would be able to work out how much the speedo would be off if i knew the ratios.....

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I have the 14 box and front half shaft , the speedo is disconnected and all I can see is a black connecter hanging lose at the diff , can the15 clocks run off the 14 box or can you wire it back up from that black plug? I was told it was the abs and don't worry about it
I'm sorry to say but they told you wrong. It's used for ABS and speedo, so get it connected back up

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Thanks, the diff was in the car when i bought it, how much off would the speedo read ?
I was told already that the abs sensor works the speedo on an s15 just wasn't sure if the s14 sensor would work.

does anyone know what the diff ratios are in an s15 specR and s14 turbo, i would be able to work out how much the speedo would be off if i knew the ratios.....
The s15 R has a 3.69 and the australian delivered s14 also has a 3.69 but i think the japs had a better ratio, i dunno about your side of the world though...

drifter

Reaction score
Country
UK S14 manuals have a 3.69 diff, auto is about 3.9.

If the black plug you have is towards the back on the diff it's probably something to do with the S14 diff oil cooler.

I don't think the speedo will be out imo as the ratios are the same at the diff. However if it is wrong I would normally suggest using a Digital Dakota box to correct the signal. Only thing that worries me is the same signal goes to the ABS and that's signal I don't like to mess about with.

I'll be swapping in my Z32 box and 4.1 diff soon so I'll have to mess about with all this as well :D

One thing you may be missing is the hellical diff that the S15 had at some stages in it's life. S14 is a viscous unit which is not as nice :)

Reaction score
Country
Thanks, i've a sensor on it's way anyway so i should know next week if it works,
not worried bout missing the hellical diff anyway, i'll be getting a 2-way as soon as i have the money to pay for it :D