What's new

boost?

Y

yewei

hi guys n girls :wave: jus wondering how much boost are u all running on? i'm running less than 1 bar on high boost n around 0.7 - 0.8 bar on low boost. is it safe to run 1.1 or 1.2 bar on high boost?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Depends what fuel the car is mapped to. JDM cars running UK 97/98 RON fuel tend to be detting not much over 0.8 bar.

On a correct setup, you can run 1 bar without additional cooling (but colder plugs and good exhaust flow). 1.1 bar is OK with the right fuelling and an FMIC, but the injectors will be pushing it. Above that and you'll need a different AFM, injectors and ECU. The BB T28 will be pushing it by about 1.2 bar. The non-BB T28 earlier...

Y

yewei

do u recommend tat i go for a 3" or stay with the 2.5" downpipe, my plugs are standard. as i find them better rather than aftermarket ones. shud be orite for 1 bar? :confused:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My understanding is that you need colder plug when upping the boost, so you shoudl do that 1st off :nod:

My downpipe, and most others are 3" :nod:

As has been said as long as your running on the 100ron Jap fuel you will be ok to turn the boost up with colder plugs, if your not and running a lower octain fuel then you will need to have your car mapped for that fuel or not go over 0.8bar :)

Y

yewei

thanx for the explanations guy, but can u define n give example about colder plugs? seems like i can learn lot from u guys with deeper backgrounds about the S15 :thumbs:

V

Vandal

Yep, you'll definitely need fuel pump, FMIC, colder plugs and a tune (piggyback fuel controller/ecu/remap) to safely run around 1 bar. I have also heard various 'e-mechanics' say the stock blow off valve is not really suitable for over 1 bar boost- something to look into anyway.

What mods do you have? I wouldn't be running even .8 bar in your climate without supporting mods :no: but that's just me

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, keep forgetting the climate issue (although this is a problem here just now). In a hot climate, you definitely want to be getting yourself an FMIC and remap to accompany your plugs and pump. Once happy with this setup, then start upping the boost. Just remember though that the hotter you get, the more likely it will be that you get detonation.