What's new

Boosting issue - advice needed

C

cad

Hi all,

Need your advice where posible - driving home tonight took a look up at my boost gauge whilst planting my foot and saw that it was only boosting to .7bar (was mapped to 1.2 and the boost controller is set to 1.3bar) so I hit record on the defi setup and foot to the floor through second and third. Played it back and its boosting to .7 and seemingly just hitting a wall. Now its showing no other tell tale signs of a leak, idles fine (other than the already up and down due to the VTA but this was the same when it was boosting to 1.3) and there doesnt seem to be any hesitation. Any idea's other than to just double check for leaks come the weekend?

Posted a Vid below so you can see how the boost is acting and also a pic of the Power FC settings as I just wanted piece of mind as I've been told its soley the boost controller that deals with the boost side of things but as the car was set to boost to 1.2/1.3 bar shouldn't one of the settings be at that level?

The video is with my foot flat to the floor - boost seems to pick up slowly??

Any advice is much appreciated! Dan

Boosting Video

PFC

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
fctuning.com
i take it you've check the pipes to the solenoid? also check to make sure the wastegate arm hasnt lost its C Clip and popped off (seen that happen)

when did it start doing that ?

sounds like an issue with either the wastegate or solenoid. check to see if the solenoid is seeing voltage too (with a multi meter)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Check your manifold to turbo gasket too - if this is leaking you will have the exact symptoms you describe..

Reaction score
Website
fctuning.com
was gonna just say can you hear any exhaust blow? if so it will naturally be slow to spool and not make the specified boost level.. check all ya intercooler pipes n stuff too

Reaction score
Country
Send it back to Lu and tell him he sold you a duff S15 :D :D hope you get it sorted pal! :thumbs:

C

cad

I certainly did mate!

Lol James! Mr Lu has had enough hassle since the sale! This one i'm sure is just one of those things!! I've yet to be able to look at her properly in the light but I do have a squeek that sounds very much like an alternator belt slip squeek type thing so I suspect a gasket may have gone slightly!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
oh my days...!!! This car will be the end of me even after I've sold her :wack:

If you still can't see anything I should be popping out this Sun to take Japfest ticket payments... I'll have a look :) Again when I had her I've never had boosting issues apart from when turbo/exhaust gaskets have started to fail and break apart or when intercooler piping popped out (but that was only when I didn't tighten the clamps strong enough after pulling everything apart the night before!)...

And JameS15 - you're the gypsy hellaflush modder not me!! haha :p

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
In fact I'm gonna call you now... I forgot it's easy to accidentally press the right side button once or a few times on the Gizzmo boost controller and this scrolls though the 6 different boost settings!

1. 1.2 bar
2. 1.1 bar
3. not set (poor boost)
4. not set (poor boost)
5. not set (poor boost)
6. not set (poor boost)

So you could do with checking this first!

C

cad

James don't panic or worry!!

I wasn't going to trouble you with this one as I'm sure its something I can sort myself!! This thread was just a quick dig for advice!

The gizmo settings are fine - even on setting 1 (1.3) the numbers only boost to as far as .7-.8 so its not that. I've got a sneaky suspicion its a gasket somewhere due to a sqeeking sound that I initially thought was just one of the belts - shall do some more investigating at the weekend!!