What's new

Coilover Spring Length Important? Question can i use a shorter spring?

Reaction score
Country
On my front coilovers, the current front spring is 204mm long which after some research on the net most Zeal Functions (for S15 / S14) have a 200mm spring as from the factory, what i was wondering is, if i put a 180mm or smaller spring in would that affect the shock travel and rate, im not sure what the current spring is, guessing a 8kg as at some point it has been replaced, the spring for this shock which i think are B2's all had a dark blue spring which the rears have. As you can see from the pic the whole shock body is threaded and i can get another 40 - 50mm closer to the ram on the shock., without having to preload the crap out of the spring.

This is a idea im wanting to find out as a option to wheel clearance as my current wheels rubs on the spring nut on the shock, Until i can afford better wheels with the correct offset im trying other options, this thread is what im talking about

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?8462-Stock-Front-Brake-Disk-for-Spec-R-question-about-fitment

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I don't see why you couldn't use a shorter spring. You will have less travel but it's highly unlikely you'll ever max them out anyway!

Reaction score
Country
that is just ridiculous - i feel for you guys :(
Government tax mate all it is, then you guys have way higher insurance and fuel cost, so ya get robbed one way or the other, whats fuel cost at mo over there 1.35GBP???($2.95NZD) ours is $2.05 per ltr and we are moaning cause its gone up .50 in the last year

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It cost me £86 to fill my car up with V-Power yesterday..

:(