What's new

DET in DE head?

damnthing

Reaction score
Pardon me for the stupid question, but can cams which are meant for DET's be used on a DE? I am currently running a S15 SR20DE, and no i have no plans of going turbo as i have another S15 which is a DET (wife's actually!)

Cheers!
Greetings from Malaysia
VJ

Reaction score
Country
You can use them. But if you use stock DET cams on DE you should see some power less because DET cams are milder. Aftermarket cams fit both, that HKS chart shows SR20DE(T)

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
Yes the cams are interchangeable.

DET
240 duration
9.5mm lift

DE
248 duration
10.5mm lift

Usually people put DE cams in their DET for a nice little 15hp boost.

damnthing

Reaction score
i was looking more towards high cams. The reason behind this is i am contemplating between a VE conversion or just going thru the easy way of dropping in high cams. I have plans of enrolling myself for this years Time Attack at Sepang Track, and want to be in the 2.0 NA road car category, to give those FD2R's a run for their money! Am i being too wishful? :p

Reaction score
Not at all my malaysian macha's...because a very naughty VE-T will also be taking part. If only can persuade my mech to do the conversion. :)

It makes no sense to use the camshafts from a DE-T head is because the cams there are made for a turbo setup. This means the profile is going to be very mild at best as turbocharged cars cant have too much valve overlap that will occur when you run higher profile camshafts. The best for you is as suggested, use HKS cams or do a head swap. The VE headswap will net you some good hp as well as drivability. Autech themselves only managed 200bhp after throwing everything into the build so...yeah go VE!!!

should start a VE followers club. NOt many of us malaysians going down this path. All playing RB or modded SR. :) Cheers

damnthing

Reaction score
good to see another malaysian going thru this path! So it seems at if u want to go down the VE road but your mech isn't too happy about it eh? Same as mine!! There are 2 very important questions which i have not been able to get a satisfactory answer, do you need to cut the firewall for the VE conversion and also in terms of engine management, is Haltech the only way or are there any other (cheaper) options?

Reaction score
I sort of subscribe to this lovely aussie magazine, Performance Imports and on one issue last year they did a feature on this 700hp s15 by Scorch that has a VE headjob. 700hp is a bit overkill for daily use but in that one, he made do with a HKS FCON V-Pro.

No cutting of the firewall is required, but you have to relocate the CAS and a whole host of other head ancillaries. Currently MAZWORKS USA has a complete kit but its too expensive. A look at the pics on their website suggests that custom billet relocating plates is all thats needed. I'm now in the process of finding a good neo VVL engine that i wanna tear apart and do a detailed comparison study. Other than that, browse thru the wheelsjamaica forum or trinituner forums. They are good at this conversion and have some good discussion threads to learn from.

Cheers

damnthing

Reaction score
thanks for tips man....there is this one dude who is selling off his Mircotech MT-8, which is currently geing used with a SR20ve.....it does have the capability of controlling the VVT, so was wondering if it would be sufficient enough?

G

gunner93

Found some info from the net may be useful no?

SR16VE N1
Lo Intake = 220 duration 8.4 Lift
High Intake = 288 duration 12.0 Lift

Lo Exhaust = 244 duration 7.95 Lift
High Exhaust = 288 duration 11.9 Lift

P12 SR20VE
Lo Intake = 228 duration 10.10 Lift
High Intake = 278 duration 12.0 Lift

Lo Exhaust = 244 duration 8.30 Lift
High Exhaust = 280 duration 11.5 Lift

SR20VET X-Trail GT (JDM)
Lo Intake = 212 duration 8.0 Lift
High Intake = 248 duration 11.0 Lift

Lo Exhaust = 244 duration 11.3 Lift
High Exhaust = 244 duration 11.3 Lift

Reaction score
precisely, the x-trail's profiles have been made to suit a turbo setup whereas running the sr16ve head can cause valve overlap. The best balance would be from a p10-p12 primera.