What's new

HELP.... plugs? fuel filter? air filter? coil packs? or worse?

Reaction score
i'll start of... all of a sudden my car looses all sense of power from about 4g+ and it sometimes splutters a bit through full acceleration.
i'm about to change plugs and filters because they are about due anyway... but is it likely to be my coil packs or something worse?

Reaction score
Based on what you have provided and guessing that the mileage is approaching 100 000kms, then yes, all those are due for a change. However if it is the coilpacks, it will be noticable at idle, even more audible if you have a free flowing exhaust or catback like most of us do. Basically it will sound like a sick WRX. It will still hold the idle, but wouldnt sound too happy doing it.

The probable culprit is probably the spark plugs. Depending on type and last point of change, they do get fouled a fair bit so on boost it may give up. That would be the cheapest option to fix. It would also make sense to change the fuel filter. Slightly worse than that would be the fuel pressure regulator itself. I recently cooked mine and when i saw how small the unit is, its easy to understand why the smallest of debris in fuel can impair the flow. It'd be wise to invest in a good pressure regulator too. The stock s15 hitachi afms are not the best but neither are they bad so that would be the last thing you wanna suspect. If you are still running the stock viscous paper air cleaner, bin it for a dry one (Apexi, Blitz, HKS). Avoid oiled ones like K&N's as they screw with the afm hotwire.

Cars built like brick s***houses, wouldnt worry too much. She'll run eventually. Cheers.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
K&N's don't mess with the AFM if you know how to oil them correctly.

Reaction score
its had a k&n as far as i've had it... kk.. will see how it goes with new plugs and filters
good to hear its prolly not the coil packs :)

V

vti_coupw

check your intercooler joiners and the rubber hosing going into your turbo inlet, also the small boost pipe that goes to the actuator, either of them could hav a tiny split, also your fuel pump could be failing

Reaction score
Country
I'm guessing intercooler piping has come loose or your exhaust is coming off the turbo (common problem) or gasket is leaking... Let me know if you need a hand man, I can come up and have a look at it for you :)