What's new

Boosting Issue

Reaction score
Hi all, for the past month my turbo/something else has been playing up when on boost. It should be running at 1.6 bar and was mapped by Norris Designs just before christmas but whenever you get to around 1.4/1.5 bar the boost is wandering around and refuses to climb all the way to 1.6. I have a power fc with boost control add-on with a 2871 uprated actuator fmic and h-dev re-circ kit. No other problems are showing themselves on the pfc readout - knock levels and everything else is fine, just down on power coz of the boost. Also on idle the car occasionally wavers around the rpm between 1000 and 600 - sometimes this will sort itself out and other times the car will stall itself. Any help/ideas would be much appreciated!!!:nod:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Was thinking actuator arm struggling to hold boost but you say you got 2871 with upgrated actuator so can't be that I guess...

Yeah as Tom says could be boost leak somewhere? Also have you double checked the electronic boost controller setting and made sure that hasn't changed somehow?!

Jay

Reaction score
are you running a vent to atmosphere bov? is the bov up to the job? at those levels of boost an older item or one of lesser quality could create the symptoms you describe.....

Reaction score
I was thinking about a boost leak but how do i check this - ie get the car on boost - without driving the car??? Any ideas apart from rolling road:confused:

Reaction score
are you running a vent to atmosphere bov? is the bov up to the job? at those levels of boost an older item or one of lesser quality could create the symptoms you describe.....

The parts on the car have all done less than 3k and all was working fine when Norris set it up. Really don't understand what could be causing the problems.

Reaction score
Look up boost pressure check on sxoc..

You basically undo hot and cold pipe and block them off with anything you can find. I used a aerosol can and put tape round it then clamp it in one end and the other I used a old plastic multivitamin tub then drilled a hole in it and pit a tyre valve in the hole. and any smaller vacuum hoses block off also, once this is done get a pump and stick it to a little over your max boost and listen for hissing leaks..

It should hold pressure for ages with a slow drop of pressure..

If it don't fix the leak..

Last edited by a moderator: