What's new

VTC and uprated springs

Reaction score
Country
Hi Guys
I think this topic could have been touch many times. but cannot find answer relating to this problem that i am facing, need expert help.

I know the vtc is a very common issue. further digging i think this problem can also be caused by uprated aftermarket springs.

I do not recall having vtc issue before meddling with my engine. I did a "overhaul" and i think the set of 16 brian crower ti retainers & single valve springs has caused the VTC rattle. http://bde-performance.com/vtc.htm this site kind of explains it.

I was thinking of replacing my vtc but then should it not solve the problem, then it will be wasted time & $.

has anyone who has upgraded their engine faced the same problem as me? And how did u solve the problem without changing to adjustable cam gears?

cheers
Jus

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
It happens often and only exasperated when you go to too heavy of a valve spring. Brian crower valve springs are actually one of the heaviest springs for the SR20 and I see it often where people don't care about the spring rates in their valve train, but when it comes to something like suspension, their focus on springrates go through the roof because they can feel it every second whilst the car is moving. Spring rates in your suspension is pretty straightforward, so just apply the same thinking to your valvetrain.

A heavy spring is great if you plan to rev your car to 10,000 all day long, otherwise it's overkill. It also places more unnecessary load and stress on the valvetrain and in a number of cases including yours, this is evident through killing VCT gears.

Keep the VCT, it's definitely worth it, but with those springs be prepared to replace the gear regularly.