What's new

Am I too weak or am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Country
I cant get the bloody prop shaft bolts at the diff end out!

Ive tried soo hard but nothing :(

Ive managed to get 1 out so I know it is as simple as using a spanner lol but I cant get 2 of the others out and I havent even atempted the last one.

The thing is im trying that hard, I even used my feet to try and push the spanner down from lying under the car but it actualy turns the prop shaft slightly even though its in gear.

Any tips guys I really need this off so I can drop the subframe -

Bolts in question -

S

S15 SILVIA

Try using a bar/pipe either over the spanner to add some leverage, or preferably a socket and lever with pipe.
Just need a bit of brute force by the looks. you will probably find your spanners are just flexing?

Reaction score
Country
Hmm dont think they are flexing really as the force I was putting on it was turning the prop itself?

I didnt want to break the diff or prop so wasnt sure how hard to really go for it..but I was giving it all at some points but was no good :(

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
They are SOLID dude use your foot to push them off thats what I did :) and none of them rounded! shocker considering we had to angle grinde them off my mates S14a when we took his auto box out lol

They are supper stiff though man make sure the handbrake is on TIGHT when you are doing it aswell but it can be done if you look on my build thread I had fun on sat :wack:

Reaction score
Country
Already took the handbrake out :annoyed:

Its annoying as like I said if you try really hard it slowley turns the prop! Need to use more WD40 me thinks or some stronger stuff then spose its just keep trying or call someone with bigger muscles haha

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
dont put the hand brake back on man we didnt put it in gear to take the prop off cause it will still turn, we just pulled the hand brake on tight! and it held with us pulling and kicking it lol
though doing it yourself would be a pain needing to get out from under the car to take it off to then get back under and turn the prop to get the next bolts :wack:
honestly though dude handbrake back on and you will get it :)

Reaction score
Country
:s i didn't have an issue getting those bolts off at all and i'm by no means strong :D
I put a spanner on either side and undone them that way. It was too tight to get a socket or impact driver onto the bolts so i just used a halfords professional ratchet spanner.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
They're a real pain, what I normally do is use some penetrating oil like freeze and release, get a spanner on the other side and if you're kicking it, get a friend to kick it from the other side, and make sure you don't kick/rock the car off it's axle stands! :wack: Good luck!!

Reaction score
Country
Also remember you get more torque when pulling on a spanner as opposed to pushing on it.
I never knew that Andeep cheers!

Seems weird that does...you would think that youd apply more force using your legs as they are much stronger than arms..

Reaction score
You won't be able to get a socket on the bolts. You need a get a crowfoot wrench set if you can't get it off with a spanner with an overbar.

You put a breaker bar on the end and I acts like a big spanner.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It will actually have thread locking compound on it. It will be difficult to get off. If you have tried everything, a little heat should soften the thread lock enough to undo it.

Reaction score
Country
I got them off in the end!

I put the ring end of a 14mm on the best fit I could get then wedged a socket inbetween the top of the spanner and the diff casing, this stoped the spanner moving and coming loose which rounds the nuts.