What's new

torquing up rear alignment arms

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys, i know a couple of you have done the same job as i'm in the middle of- poly bushing (etc) the rear subframe.

Now in the next day or two i'm -hopefully- going to be fitting my new bushed alignment arms i got from Apex.
Someone told me that they need to be torqued up with load on them i.e the car on the ground. Did you guys do this or can it maybe be done by jacking up the rear of the car from the diff? :confused:
Or can i just torque them whilst the subframe is off the car :confused:

Does anyone know what torque the arms need and also the four main mounts that hold the subframe to the car?

cheers in advance :)

Reaction score
Says in the workshop manual that they need to be torqued with load on them. I used 4 spare wheels and placed them flat under the wheels on the car so I could get under while the arms were under load.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'm gonna do the same as andeep did, block the wheels up and sit the car on them before tightening. also make sure that any ride height adjustments are all done before doing this. you will find that if you tighten them before the car goes on the ground the back end will be a bit more 'springy/bouncy'. as for torque ratings, i've had mine off numerous times and always done them up tight just on a spanner, maybe a couple of final taps on the spanner with a rubber mallet if you're worried. i'm not recommending you do this, i'm just saying its always been fine for me with no probs whatsoever (thats my little disclaimer lol)

Reaction score
Country
Ah ok good idea using spare wheels :nod: I have a pit at the side of the drive so that could be a shout.
So tighten the arms by finger whilst the sub frame is off then once its back on the car and under load tighten it using a ratchet or whatever?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
yep, finger tighten the nuts provided the bolt is all the way through. you dont want to be pulling the bolt through by tightening the nut with load on the things :)

Reaction score
Country
Got you :thumbs:

Just need to figure out how to remove the stock rear control arm bushes and replace them with orange DW jobbies!

I'll report back if i cant work it out and/or break something :wack:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
From memory, I did mine with the wheels off the ground. They haven't fallen off yet. I wouldn't think it would make much difference to the torque on the bolts if the wheels were loaded or not.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I nipped mine up with them in the air and had the alignment guys adjust/tighten them yesterday. They did them with load on.

Reaction score
Country
Would thi sbe the same for standard items?

I will be removing everything from the subframe as it will get coated so putting them all back on would it be better to tighten them like the method above?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
its more important to do it with the standard arms when loaded up or it will stress the bushes out to the point of knackering them :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I used A-Line but it will have to go back to get re checked as it's pulling to the left slightly now and was perfect before..

Reaction score
As said, it's important to torque the arms when the suspension is under load when using bushed alignment arms.

If you are using rose joints, you can torque them when the suspension is not under load.