What's new

anyone running a 4.1 diff??

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
As the title suggests really,am toying with the idea of swapping my diff for a skyline diff with a 4.1 ratio to get better acceleration as the gearing seems to drag forever in my car 3.9!!
Anyone done the swap,any info on it? I know I will lose some top end but really don't think I will miss it I mean where can u ever use it anyways,wanna gear my 15 up for low down accelration so its a bit more useable and a lot more fun!!!
Cheers in advance guys....

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Go for it, ratio changes are a great way to liven up the car. Only thing is if you do alot alot of highway driving then it can get tiring being at higher revs, otherwise an excellent upgrade!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
cheers for info dude,i do quite a bit of motorway driving but i try keep that mainly to my other car,much more fun to be had on b roads!!!

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
I have a 4.08, it's a huge difference compared to the stock 3.69. I do alot of highway driving though now that I moved to Italy and I wish wish I had the stock gearing back. I need to find someone to trade with. I have a 5-speed though so that may make a difference. At 110kph I'm at 3000rpm.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah I would have thought having a 5 speed would be more to do with that mate as in sixth gear that would prob be a lower rpm.what car did you get the 4.08 out of ??

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
Not just low end, it pulls much harder in every gear. 2nd gear especially feels alot better. It helps keep the RPMs up for drifting and the track also.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
It revs through the gears faster so it feels like you got alot more power without any of the lag :D

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
So little update, managed to find a skyline 37:9 diff (4.11 ratio) already in a casing for a s15 with abs/speed sensor attached and skyline shafts too for a bargain price,picking it up on saturday,just gonna give the casing a freshen up and get it straight on,pretty lucky having it cased up already should save me a lot of cash plus will be able to sell the 3.9 diff I have on there atm.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
My car is a jap spec s15 but it had a nismo 2 way in when I bought it,but I am not using it for drifting so swapped it out for a new diff that was supposed to be a s15 helical but that turned out not to be the case and was actually a 3.9 ratio out of an s14 that's why I am now swapping for this as I found that diff too long in certain gears.
Cheers for the info though mate

Reaction score
My car is a jap spec s15 but it had a nismo 2 way in when I bought it,but I am not using it for drifting so swapped it out for a new diff that was supposed to be a s15 helical but that turned out not to be the case and was actually a 3.9 ratio out of an s14 that's why I am now swapping for this as I found that diff too long in certain gears.
Cheers for the info though mate
Let me know if you're after a helical, mines for sale. Also you're local.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
I just sold mine aswell the other week aswell dude you should of gave me a shout :( I would of took the Nismo off you as a swap lol

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Cheers guys, but I originally wanted a helical as I had a nismo 2 way from a skyline in my car,I took it to garage d a few months back to have one fitted and after a few days of messing around picked the car up with what was supposed to be a helical diff,but had my car looked over and it turns out it was actually a 3.9 diff from a s14 not what they said so not only did they get my nismo 2 way for 350 quid but they also didn't give me a helical! Long and short of it didn't wanna spend out another 3-400 on a helical and wanted to get better acceleration so managed to get a skyline 4.1 diff in a abs case with shafts for 140 just gotta do a 4 hour round trip!
Thanks for the offer guys much appreciated though.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that mate. I would not have expected that from Garage-D!

How is it that you found out they didn't give you a helical?

Also the crown gear from a helical has the same ratio as a manual S14.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
the final drive ratio was 3.692 not 4.11 for the R spec. the S spec was 4.083 with the 5 speed.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Maybe it is a helical then,just set to the wrong ratio.
Wil find out for certain when its off the car.
I am not slating them,they ended up haveing the car for 2 or 3 days when it was only supposed to be in for the morning and didn't charge me any extra and gave me a lift home!!!!!!
Just as meddler said I was under the impression it was a 3.6 not 3.9 ,end of the day it will all be sorted and I will have a stronger diff now so its all good.
Just was expecting to only have to do this once so is a bit of a pain.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Which skyline did the bits come out from? I think you need skyline hubs as well because the splines are different to s-bodies.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Think its from an r33 gts mate so shouldn't have to change anything to fit it,I was told you just have to change the bearings if its from a gtr as the shafts are slightly larger . Not 100% but just going on what I was told

Last edited: