What's new

gear oil opinions

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
looking for some advice you lot......if anyone has experience with them and doesnt mind sharing :)

basically i used to have the redline mtl gear oil in my box and didn't notice any more slickness to gear changes or anything, i've since drained it and am now considering going back to a semi synthetic oil as synthetics are normally a little thinner and make the box noisier. anyway, i've got 2 oils in mind but i'm not sure whether anyone has used them before and with what results.

they are:
synthetic
fuchs titan race syn 5 75w90
and
semi synthetic
fuchs titan gear syn 75w90

anyway, if anyone has negative input about either of these, suggestions would be appreciated as i have a chosen engine and diff oil that i stick to now, but not a box oil. i'm looking for nice shifts, quiet operation and good protection properties :)

cheers in advance :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
In my box i have Silkolene SILKTRAN SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil which is the synthetic stuff you listed there before it was re branded.
I over filled it the box as suggested by a few people to give a smoother feel to the box but to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with it.
To me it feels more 'noutchy' than it did before i changed the oil. It didn't make the box any noisier but it isn't as smooth as it was before.

I don't know what oil was in it before though- i assume it was oem Nissan stuff which is probably as good as any aftermarket product :confused:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i have heard the same, i think synthetics have better properties but they are a bit piss thin.... any more takers with info?

Reaction score
Country
From my own experience, I use Motul Gear 300 75W 90 fully syn oil for tranny, never had a problem with it (i've used in two cars by now), and my box is actually is less noisy than with an old mineral one i was using when i bought the car (forgot the brand already, but it was a generic stuff).

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I use the RedLine Lightweight Shockproof (the green stuff). It's never given me a problem and the box feels nice with no odd noises so I'll keep using it :)

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I used redline lightweight, motul something something, and amsoil severe, all good oils :)

Re: synthetics being thin... provided that you're running the same viscosity then all the oils be it dino, semi or fullsynth should be very very similar in viscosity - I say "very very" because the SAE rating "round" off the oils to the nearest rating, for example an oil may be rated and stamped a 90 weight (SAE90), but it may in actual fact be a 86 weight. There isn't an SAE86 rating so they'll round it to the nearest, which is SAE90. Then there may be an oil that is a 94 weight, but again there is no SAE94, so they round it to the nearest rating which is, again, SAE90. That may explain why some oils rated the same can seem to have a different viscosity.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
I use red line Mt 90 it's awesome made a huge difference with my box. All boxes are different I do abuse mine so that's why I noticed the difference.

Reaction score
Website
Www.sealedperformance.co.uk
Country
Instagram
@Sealedperformance
i'm about to get some gear box oil and have no idea which to get i'm looking at the red line mt90 as it has good reviews on the net is the GL5 what people go for? what is the difference between that and the GL4 and which is best, GL5 is classed as the high performance one out of the 2

Reaction score
Country
I used VMX80 (GL4) in my transmission and multitrax (GL5) in the rear diff
Seems great so far, would definitely recommend for regular use, not sure how well it would cope on the track but i'm confident it would be ok if you changed it afterwards