What's new

2871r . . . bargain?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
the 2871r is very similar to the gt-rs, apparently the hks turbo spools a tiny bit quicker but the actual turbo was always made by garrett anyway. i've heard there was an exclusivity clause on the gt-rs being made for hks, so the 2871r was garretts own edition of the turbo. i know that apex are selling them for 779 so that is cheap what turbo dynamics are selling them for, but i'd be interested to find out the trim and fitment of it.

if it's a .86 housing on it it will produce more power but not until later and would be less of a pleasure to run on the road than the .64 version as it would likely be laggier, also if its a 60 trim then it would need some customising of the intercooler pipe routing....the 52 trim is a direct swap over from 28r and will fit like for like. so if they are selling a .64 housing 2871r in a 52 trim then that's a great turbo, the .86 version of the same is more for people looking for a higher headline figure :)

Reaction score
It is the same as a GTRS. It's probably cheap as it does not come with the rear trim (AR.64 or AR .86) or the stock inlet and outlet flanges for a direct bolt on to an S15

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
didn't notice that^^ in that case, you'd be better off getting a ready to fit turbo from apex if you are on the lookout. its an extra 40 quid, and might not include the actuator, but the 28r actuator works perfectly well to get you going with a 2871r anyway :)

Reaction score
The hks units use cheap garret parts some from diesel turbos and the ex housing is prone to cracking around the wastgate. The GT2871r is a great turbo end well worth getting. Turbo dynamics are a big garret agent so there prices are usually cheaper than most places.

Reaction score
Garret turbos can also be remanufactured(Alot cheaper than a new unit) and HKS turbos can't due to no kit parts being avaliable.