What's new

Gearbox self destructed for Christmas - thanks Santa. Sound like circlip failure?

Reaction score
Country
It may help but it won´t avoid...

My 2 boxes failed although using oem dualmass flywheel and ACT sprung clutch disc.

K

kingtal0n

It may help but it won´t avoid...

My 2 boxes failed although using oem dualmass flywheel and ACT sprung clutch disc.
Did you drive it rough? I want to use a stock turbo around 10psi for a daily driver, using side mount, stock exhaust, etc... And a sprung exedy clutch disc (OEM replacement for < 250horsepower). I was hoping the gearbox will last for at least 150,000 miles (over 200,000km)

Reaction score
It's not how smooth you shifted, it pushing 350hp through a gearbox that will only tolerate about 290hp at regular track days. Even then they will implode after numerous track events, they are just not cut out for high HP and torque.The gear ratios are not close enough and the input shaft is weak. With a HD organic clutch, around 280hp, high quality gearbox oil and street use they will go the distance.

I run around 345hp and track my car, that is why I got rid of the stock gearbox and put a strengthened Nismo 6 speed in

K

kingtal0n

It's not how smooth you shifted, it pushing 350hp through a gearbox that will only tolerate about 290hp at regular track days. Even then they will implode after numerous track events, they are just not cut out for high HP and torque.The gear ratios are not close enough and the input shaft is weak. With a HD organic clutch, around 280hp, high quality gearbox oil and street use they will go the distance.

I run around 345hp and track my car, that is why I got rid of the stock gearbox and put a strengthened Nismo 6 speed in

I thought the c-clip could fail at any instant regardless of whether you street it with low power

And what gear oil? I keep reading redline shock proof. What about redline MT-90? Thats what we use in 5-speed sr20 transmissions

Reaction score
I thought the c-clip could fail at any instant regardless of whether you street it with low power

And what gear oil? I keep reading redline shock proof. What about redline MT-90? Thats what we use in 5-speed sr20 transmissions
The C clip will not be an issue if you run a stock car with stock power. I was using Motul gear oil 75w-90w in my stock box without any problems or mishaps..

K

kingtal0n

The C clip will not be an issue if you run a stock car with stock power. I was using Motul gear oil 75w-90w in my stock box without any problems or mishaps..
Oh, that makes me feel much better. So the gearbox would be ok if I used a stock S15 drivetrain.

I am putting it into a 240sx. 2800lbs~ and using the oem everything. even exhaust. probably set to about 10psi for daily driving. 93 octane in the USA where I live.
I was worried about the 6-speed after finding this site, but I guess everyone is rough on their S15's. :D

Reaction score
I know enough guys with stock or low boost who have been running the cars for years with no issues. They are not made of glass, but they have a ceiling limit when it comes to input power, style of clutch and driver abuse..