What's new

removing side skirts

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
hi all, i need to know how to remove the sideskirts without causing any damage to them or the bodywork....

i've removed all the screws and fixings, all thats left is the trim tape and the pop clips that hold them on, but even when i can get my fingers behind the skirt, the wing flexes before the adhesive or the clips give way - so if i continue this way i fear something will break :(

any help appreciated :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Do you have a trim tool? They are perfect for this mate,they look like a screwdriver but have a split end like a tack lifter and the end is angled at 45 deg so u can pop the clips out with out damaging anything if you are worried about scratching the paint using this just stick a fabric plaster over the bacK edge of it.defo be worth a try.
As for the adhesive I find autoglym intensive tar remover is the nuts for this when I removed the badges off my car just whacked some of this on the adhesive leave it on for a few minutes and it sort of melts the adhesive but doesn't damage the paint,goes all squidgy so u can just lever em off with out doing any damage!
Hope it helps

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
hi mate, i havent got a trim tool, but the trouble is the skirt doesnt pull off far enough to slide one down the back anyway......i have some of the tar remover so will try that, i was also considering using a hairdryer to melt some of the adhesive to help release them, but surely someone must have removed them safely when fitting aftermarket etc....

cheers for the info.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've had the front end caps off before. Those clips are really difficult to get to and the adhesive is very sticky indeed (as it seems you've found out!). Personally I wouldn't take them off unless you really have to as it will also be difficult to stick them back on as well as they came off.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
has to be done mate, have to remove the skirts to clean up the sills, prime and stonechip them while i'm doing all the rest. would be silly not to as these are the most vulnerable areas :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ok.. You could try to cheese-wire the sticky foam stuff? Or be very careful with a scalpel to cut through it.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i'm going to do a bit of an experiment today with a hairdryer and fishing line - see what happens :)

cheers :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
sorted :) appears if you undo all the screws, then lift an edge while point the hairdryer at it the glue releases. then its just a case of pulling them off - they feel like they'll break but they dont. they're only stuck on in a couple of places with regular foam body tape so should go back nicely :) quite an easy job after all that lol.....both came off in about 20 mins

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
How many clips were behind the main part?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
3 behind the end cap, 8 behind the main skirt. i found that if you get your fingers behind the front of the end cap and give a little tug, 2 of the clips release. then you can get your fingers behind to pull on the cap and the last one comes off. once thats off, if you tug the end of the skirt where the end cap was, the first lot of clips will release, then you just have to wiggle the back end and pull.

a few of the clips came off with the skirt, some stayed on the bodywork but didnt break. i'll need to use a trim tool to release them and re-attach them to the skirt. if you want a pic, i'll get one ;)

if you're gonna be a bear craig, be a grizzly - if your doing the rest you'll probably want to do the sills lol

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
lol :) I'll have a look at it and decide when the time comes! I was thinking about leaving the fuel tank in (mainly because it's still got half a tank in it) but thats coming out too now.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
haaaaa i knew that would happen lol. do you think we should book an appointment and have a check up, from the neck up? lol

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Probably. Definatly infact! Funny you should say that though because I did actually **** my neck up taking the subframe off! Don't know how I did it, just started hurting after! :ghey:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
lol @ :ghey: haha. lowering the subframe was funny, it was all going well and then as it comes off the studs, in my mind i was like 'sh!t, this is really heavy' lol. i can see how easily you could injure yourself...

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I think I did my neck undoing nuts whilst lying on my back (double :ghey:)!! I lowered the frame on a jack but when it left the studs it was wobbling all over the place. Not looking forward to refitting it!