What's new

Mid Or Front Mount I/C setups?

Reaction score
Country
Anyones here uses a mid-mount I/C Setup?

1. what the differences between the front & mid mount?

2. which location will u choose to set it in? (in between rad and a/c? or infront of a/c, rad and a/c remain same stock location)

3. better choices between the 2?

thinking of changing a setup since i am now rebuilding the engine.. =D

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
never even heard of a mid mount intercooler tbh.....front mount is widely recognised as the most efficient configuration on here, im pretty sure of that. an upgrade from front mount bar and plate would be a tube and fin design, but aside from that you're best bet is to just go with a regular crossflow front mount :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
that looks very nice, and may speed up lag times a little as the pipe runs are shorter, but it means getting rid of the a/c, cutting the slam panel etc.....i'd go with a regular fmic. you'd probably struggle to notice the difference and this seems like a fair bit more work and hassle for the little extra gain :).

S

S15 SILVIA

Do like the look of that!!!!!!
Looks a little smaller than regular front mounts, and would be a shame to loose the a/c, but it looks real neat. Nice fitment and great pipework.
Cutting wouldnt bother me that much tho to be honest, as you need to cut the battery trays on most front mounts anyway!

Reaction score
Country
that looks very nice, and may speed up lag times a little as the pipe runs are shorter, but it means getting rid of the a/c, cutting the slam panel etc.....i'd go with a regular fmic. you'd probably struggle to notice the difference and this seems like a fair bit more work and hassle for the little extra gain :).
deans15, i will be following my fren setup.. without losing the a/c & cutting..but the a/c condenser will be queuing 1st in front followed by the I/C then the rad lastly R32/34 fan & shroud.. after i have done it i will upload some pics.. but 1st i need to get my engine done b4.. so it would be in mayb 1 mth time..

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
believe me, if there was any gain to be had from that i/c setup, it will definitely be lost if the ac rad is in front of it. its up to you, but i'd defintiely go with a tried and tested fmic that will easily handle what you can throw at it.......

Reaction score
Country
believe me, if there was any gain to be had from that i/c setup, it will definitely be lost if the ac rad is in front of it. its up to you, but i'd defintiely go with a tried and tested fmic that will easily handle what you can throw at it.......
The rad is behind the cooler. And a/c is in front of cooler

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
this is what i'm saying, anything in front of the cooler will interrupt airflow, this is water temps are known to go up a little when an fmic is placed in front of the stock rad

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
How do the high end modern cars run their coolers? Still 2x WMIC's?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
The Time Attack orange S15 uses one of the hmic setups and that's running over 500bhp.
do you think they are running an ac rad in front of it? ;)

all i'm saying is what's the attractive thing about this - i can't imagine it will perform 'notably' better than an fmic, it will certainly be more expensive and will definitely be harder to fit........

Reaction score
Country
deans15 you are right and I understand it.. but will aftermarket rad help? and some customize spraying of water there.. when it start getting hot helps?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
what sort of tune are you going for mate? what is the intended use?

most of us go to a fmic, then upgrade to an alloy rad (this is not 100% necessary though), this negates any real differences before and after. then to top it off you can fit a full cooling panel to direct airflow through the cores. this is proven on road and track, but on road people stick to the viscous fan and shroud, and for drift/track people switch to twin electric fans and perhaps an oil cooler.

hope this helps, im not an expert at all, but this seems to be the most common practice ;)

Reaction score
Country
will use in for drifting once in a while. my mate here is quite a drifter in SG and working in a reputable workshop.. he is using the setup i was saying.. and rare.. so i was wondering shold i follow or shold i not..

he uses the R34 fan, alloy rad, mmic and custom duct to direct air to the a/c condenser so the fan behind the rad will suck air thru all 4pcs of cooler including the oil cooler

Last edited by a moderator: