What's new

Strange noise from water system?

Reaction score
Country
Few weeks ago one of my water hoses burst due to ice in the system. changed the hose and put her all back together, she starts fine and the engine is running fine. Fans kick in which suggest the theo stat is working as it should however i get a strange scratching noise when the car starts to warm up. tryed bleeding the air several times to clear any air locks but i am still not getting any hot air coming through the heater, and the cars temp gauge goes up to 3/4 and back down to 1/2 slowly when driving. Any ideas????

K

Keisu

Scratching noise like a bearing? Thermostat stuck at some point? My car was cold after an hour of driving and checked my thermostat and it was stuck open :( At what temp do the fans stop spinning?

Reaction score
Country
Sorted it now. It was air in the system. When the pipe split it drained the whole system. When you fill the sytem through the radiator it doent fill up the heater matrix or any of the pipes feeding it. So when i bled the system it only bled part of it. Needed it pressure filling to ensure the heater matrix was full. The scrathing noise was the air getting forced back once the system pressurised. Teach me to change my anti freeze :wack: Seems to be running fine now. Cant take hear for a test drive due to the weather :mad:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
What was up with the pump? Had the shaft snapped?

Reaction score
Country
I havnt taken it off yet however we hooked it up to the smart bit of kit the garage has and it showed that the pump just wasnt doing anything. So while im at it im going to change the stat aswel. I cant imagine that it has bust the shaft as it is quite thick but its definatly not working properly. While i have it in bits im going to change the rad aswel. How is the poly bush mission goin?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ahh.. Would be interesting to know whats happened to it as they are fairly sturdy items.

Poly bushing is going ok, theres a bit more to it than I expected though and the powder coaters and platers have closed for Christmas now until 4th Jan so theres not much else I can do until they re-open. I went there last night and took the tank out and started cleaning up the underside ready for underseal. Need to go again tonight or over the weekend to drain the tank as it's got quite a lot of fuel in it - as I found out when I lowered it down! Also pressed the bushes from the hubs and arms and removed the wheel bearings from the hub assemblys.

:)

Reaction score
Country
Good job, I'm back there on the 4th, I plan to get my membership sorted and start putting her all back together after work. How's busy is it up there ATM? Do you think I will get my car in?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Theres no room at the moment mate. Theres 2 'projects' there, an old 305 GTi and my car, so just the ramp is free but they keep that clear. I should be out by the 14th though :)